Why become a member? ×

Hearing protection advice

ikay

I play in a band with an uncomfortably LOUD drummer. Having been in bands for the best part of half a century my hearing has a bit of wear and tear so I need to do more to protect what I've got left.

I find playing with earplugs quite difficult as everything sounds muffled and I feel disconnected from the band. I currently use a fairly old set of ACS ER20 plugs which claim to 'preserve the fidelity of the sound' etc. However, to me it just feels like playing underwater.

Ideally, I'd rather have some sort of hearing protection that works more like a limiter and only kicks in above a certain threshold, rather than knocking everything back by 20dB or so even in quieter sections. Are there any earplugs out there that work like this?

I can't find any, so I'm looking to upgrade my earplugs to ACS Custom Pro series with moulded earpieces in they hope that they'll be better quality and more transparent than my cheap off-the-shelf ER20s. At around £150 I'll be disappointed if it still feels like playing underwater! But with my already dodgy hearing it probably will.

If I get the ACS Customs, I'm also undecided which filter to go for (see chart below). I'm tempted to go for lower attenuation (eg. PRO 15) in order to reduce the underwater/disconnected feeling. Alternatively the PRO 17 which seems to be a popular choice. Or, with the snare/cymbals in mind, perhaps the PRO 20 which is somewhere between the two at lower frequencies but attenuates progressively more in the higher range.

I'd appreciate any advice or guidance from anyone who uses ACS Customs or anyone with similar hearing/drummer issues and can recommend other solutions. 

Thanks for any input.

1029028090_ACSProComparisonChart.jpg.a3ea17364da9b73d801f032f36baec39.jpg

I use ACS moulded. Years old, don’t know the filter rating but will see if I can find it. I know they’re even attenuation across the spectrum.

I love them. Moulded are night and day compared to off the shelf. All plugs take time get used to. Stick with them, sing and play with them in a lot.

Couple of tips before fitting: get your ears syringed and cleaned out a couple of weeks beforehand. Seriously. And whilst you’re getting a fitting, get a hearing test to baseline you and allow the fitter to advise on filters.

I use PRO17's for regular bands and PRO26's for my very loud band. I have no problems communicating on stage and no trouble hearing what I need to hear. Without ACS I would be either totally deaf or not playing.

If you feel "disconnected" deal with it. That's what you'll end up with 24/7 if you don't use effective hearing protection.

• Like 5

Another vote for the 17’s here, also with an “uncomfortably loud drummer”.  I also have a set of the 26 filters which I used when ext to the drums, but these days the guitarist is in between us so I don’t bother.  The 17’s really are just like turning the volume down, and I always use them at gigs I go to as well.  Night and day when compared with even the higher end of the non-moulded ones.

Mine are the flush ones and I don’t have any trouble digging them out after a gig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owen said:

Final piece of advice, make sure you get the impressions done with a thing that keeps your mouth open. I was on my 4th set before I learnt about this. It gives a much better seal.

👍 I'll mention it when I'm there