Why become a member? ×

Difference in sound between TC Bam 200 and Warwick Gnome

Aalin

Hi
Does someone has tested the difference (in term of Sound) between the TC Bam 200 and the Warwick Gnome ?

Does someone can tell me if , making the Eq of the Bam flat, I will get the sound of the Warwick ?
Those two amps are so similar.
I have the Bam, but I’m not sure the EQ fits to me, and may be I could change for a Warwick.

- Diagram of the Bam to make it flat:

Thank’s for your answers.
Alain

bam200_flat.png

Edited by Aalin

Coincidentally we were trying to measure amp responses at the South West Bass Bash yesterday. We didn't gather as much data as we'd like and the BAM was one we missed. We'll put up some results when we have them. The response of the Gnome however we captured. It is really odd and similar to what you have for the BAM. The Trace Elf was a 'traditional smiley face' response with some healthy HPF going on.

I didn't spend long doing this but here is a pic of the controls giving an approximately flat response on the Gnome

IMG_0033.thumb.JPG.cbf0b8a6406b0735b7dd52755c237a38.JPG

5 minutes ago, Aalin said:

Phil, Thank's for your input.

So, Bam and Gnome share the same EQ.

It's just a question of color 😀

It looks that way, odd that they should both choose to have that rising response. The midrange suck out is fairly typical and shared by the Elf and filtering the bass probably good in protecting the sort of small speakers they are likely to be used with. 

Yeah, I preferred the colour of the BAM but it was out of stock when I wanted one. Nice little amp though, you can get a great sound out of them with a little eq tweaking..

22 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

filtering the bass probably good in protecting the sort of small speakers they are likely to be used with. 

Yeah, I preferred the colour of the BAM but it was out of stock when I wanted one. Nice little amp though, you can get a great sound out of them with a little eq tweaking..

Yes, putting the gain at max and playing loud, you can hear a sort of compression for protection.

Good you choose the Gnome instead of the Bam, cause for the moment some of us says they have electronic problems with the Bam.

• Like 1

I have some responses for the Elf, Gnome, Ashdown Retroglide800, Ashdown RM500, Ashdown MiBass 550 as well as the Bugera Veyron 1001M. I will upload them later but the Ashdown all had a similar response, the Elf had , as @Phil Starrexplained the Elf had a typical smiley face EQ, Tge gnome went  up and up and up and the EQ had to be tweaked heavily to obtain a near flat response. 

The Bugera was remarkably fiat with just a hint of an HPF. One reason probably that I have to use an aggressive HPF on the Zoom B1Four. 

I will use the Ashdown Retroglide at the next Gig/Rehearsal to see if it sounds wildly different. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aalin said:

Yes, putting the gain at max and playing loud, you can hear a sort of compression for protection.

Good you choose the Gnome instead of the Bam, cause for the moment some of us says they have electronic problems with the Bam.

I’ve had my Bam for well over a year now with no problems at all, certainly the other users I’ve come across have all been happy with the product. Use it and enjoy is my advice.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 20:29, Phil Starr said:

Coincidentally we were trying to measure amp responses at the South West Bass Bash yesterday. We didn't gather as much data as we'd like and the BAM was one we missed. We'll put up some results when we have them. The response of the Gnome however we captured. It is really odd and similar to what you have for the BAM. The Trace Elf was a 'traditional smiley face' response with some healthy HPF going on.

I didn't spend long doing this but here is a pic of the controls giving an approximately flat response on the Gnome

IMG_0033.thumb.JPG.cbf0b8a6406b0735b7dd52755c237a38.JPG

What's the 'flattest' you can get an Elf?

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

What's the 'flattest' you can get an Elf?

We didn't try I'm afraid, our aim was to measure the baked in response of the amps and look for any HPF. If we'd have had more time we would have just measured more amps.

I'm sure @Chienmortbb will be along to put up the plots he captured including the Elf

Edited by Phil Starr

Just for comparison this is the response of the TC BAM with all controls at 12.00. It does show a resemblance to the Gnome and Elf in the midrange dip at 400hz and the generally rising response. The Elf is clearly filtered above 4kHz compared with the other two. The Bam differs in having no HPF filtering out the extreme bass. In between I'd say they show a family resemblance. I don't know how the BAM response was measured as it was borrowed from another forum. I'm sceptical about the response of the bam below 50Hz as I really would expect some sort of roll off to be happening, having said that our measurements weren't calibrated against a known amp so that this should be seen as just an indicative set of measurements.

image.png.c05199de26d2694c7a5f5af14c5bff71.png

Edited by Phil Starr