Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop Disappointment

danweb22

On 09/10/2022 at 12:59, Vin Venal said:

Yeah if I was buying a new Fender, and wanted that custom shop vibe, I'd be looking at the American Originals with the nitro finish - the relicking surely isn't worth £1500 on top?

I come back from Limelights and Stingray Specials - I’m genuinely impressed with the AO’s Jazz and Precision I got…!

EB036C9F-D720-4D84-8CE3-BF288958BF56.thumb.jpeg.dc5595c3425c8ba1f601e8dfbd17c942.jpeg

E86102DE-EBF9-4DCD-8CED-50EF306C8B94.thumb.jpeg.704583776754edfe20dded4194c3c556.jpeg

4A0DCA59-9855-4650-9275-9F405ED1688D.thumb.jpeg.a4a796dd73ed4782edec1d90d050c81a.jpeg

• Like 10

Lots about high cost to low cost basses above.

When you buy the economy version you are buying the basic item no frills.

Next up the all singing all dancing top of the range same item covered in all the frills. Flame tops, quilted tops and facings. Gold plated tuners etc. Different fretboard material (does make a difference) In the furniture trade we referred to them as decorative features.

A nice looking piece of timber is actually a pretty looking grain that is more likely than not difficult to work because as far as stable timber is concerned it is a fault which is usually useless structurally but marketing has turned into a positive.

It doen't and never will make the guitar sound any better and using it for necks is a very brave move. Move being the operative word here. If you find a gem with cross grain across the neck RUN!

The result is you pay more because it takes more operative hours to build and because they can get away with inflating that price.

Now for those that like to troll!

Yes I have worked in the furniture industry in the frame making department of a high end manufacturer. Yes I did run the frame shop. Yes I did make continous product and process improvements. Yes I was responsible for checking quality of incoming timber and the only person qualified to sign it off. Yes I have been a member of TRADA for longer than I can remember.

No you can't pick my brains I'm now retired and enjoying BC and playing my basses and other things. Although I am always happy to share what little I know to genuine people with genuine problems.

So bottom line is 1-2k bass nice sound instrument one hopes.

4,5,6,7,k bass=more work fitting decoration and make up.

Recently bough me a Squier 70's cv jazz for £220.

Didn't need it just fancied one

Fabulous instrument no frills. Big Grin.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

I have two Custom Shops, a '60 Jazz and a '60 Precision. Both beautifully built, wonderful to play, and great sounding. No complaints here.

Similar here. I’ve a couple of CS Precisions and a CS Jazz (all bought off here, funnily enough!) and they’re fabulous instruments - from a build, sound and playability perspective. I can’t praise them enough.

The prices for newer ones (and secondhand ones in various bass shops) do appear to have risen significantly over the past couple of years, but private sales (and Basschat marketplace, obviously) can throw up some excellent basses for not-too-outlandish prices.

Don’t think I’d be minded to shell out for a new one, mind, especially when there are some excellent used CS basses for sale out there.

Here’s a CS (Sean Hurley) P Bass alongside an original ‘66 Jazz! 

5CE8868A-CD96-48D0-A62C-9CFFC5043FD8.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

Here’s a CS (Sean Hurley) P Bass

Very nice ,I really like those, I was looking for a sunburst one a while back and stupidly turned one down I was offered because I didn’t like the relic worn look on the back of the neck, don’t know if they all have it, I thought afterwards that I could probably have had it refinished 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Very nice ,I really like those, I was looking for a sunburst one a while back and stupidly turned one down I was offered because I didn’t like the relic worn look on the back of the neck, don’t know if they all have it, I thought afterwards that I could probably have had it refinished 

I think they all have it, my sunburst one does. Very smooth and comfortable. Terrific bass, wonderfully fruity mids, big chunky neck, impeccable build.

2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Don’t think I’d be minded to shell out for a new one, mind, especially when there are some excellent used CS basses for sale out there.

Indeed. I bought the Sean Hurley, used, on here at what I thought was a very acceptable price for such a good bass. There are many viable alternatives at the brand new price though.

Gratuitous pic, alongside my Nash:

IMG_2265.JPG

• Like 3

The finish of the Sean Hurley P Bass in the pic is Charcoal Frost. It’s such a lovely colour - to me, anyway! It’s lightly reliced, where there is checking on some of the finish but all the paint was/is fully intact - any subsequent wear (where the finish has disappeared) has come from myself. The back of the neck on mine wasn’t reliced but it’s started to wear (from around the third to fifth frets) through playing.

A few more pics…

ACCF84D2-0E60-4124-975A-72C7C0A3D4B6.jpeg

80B46048-8BE5-4BB0-8DDF-814461D63876.jpeg

37BBF53B-0DBA-4259-A228-D3BD4449F2C8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

The finish of the Sean Hurley P Bass in the pic is Charcoal Frost. It’s such a lovely colour - to me, anyway! It’s lightly reliced, where there is checking on some of the finish but all the paint was/is fully intact - any subsequent wear (where the finish has disappeared) has come from myself. The back of the neck on mine wasn’t reliced but it’s started to wear (from around the third to fifth frets) through playing.

A few more pics…

ACCF84D2-0E60-4124-975A-72C7C0A3D4B6.jpeg

80B46048-8BE5-4BB0-8DDF-814461D63876.jpeg

37BBF53B-0DBA-4259-A228-D3BD4449F2C8.jpeg

Lovely 👌

Back on topic, it's a shame that @danweb22 had a bad experience. I thought the whole point of CS was consistency. I bought my Jazz unseen from gear4music, and it arrived in it's factory packing box unopened, so I guess it was as it left the factory (sorry, artisan workshop....). Set up was spot on, played beautifully, everything in order. Gigged it the next day. Which is what I was expecting, for the price.

You're probably much better off buying used, with any issues sorted out. Also, if you buy new, you'll instantly lose a grand in value when you first plug it in.

The Jazz:

IMG_2472.JPG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Nice looking precision that Ander ,and not too much relic

thank you! Even if I don’t have it anymore this is the bass that turned me to ‘I need a P with flats’! Normal bass on rounds but fantastic on flats!! The cracking on the nitro was tasty too… hope my AO’s turn like that sometime!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

Back on topic, it's a shame that @danweb22 had a bad experience. I thought the whole point of CS was consistency. I bought my Jazz unseen from gear4music, and it arrived in it's factory packing box unopened, so I guess it was as it left the factory (sorry, artisan workshop....). Set up was spot on, played beautifully, everything in order. Gigged it the next day. Which is what I was expecting, for the price.

You're probably much better off buying used, with any issues sorted out. Also, if you buy new, you'll instantly lose a grand in value when you first plug it in.

The Jazz:

IMG_2472.JPG

The relic job on this one looks remarkably authentic compared to others I’ve seen.