Why become a member? ×

Franticsmurf

New Cardboard Packaging Day!

I ordered a cardboard box from Thomann and it came with this little beauty included for free! 😃

P1120718-1.thumb.jpg.22eef5a340974a2cbef162e3bf546328.jpg

Reading another thread, I was intrigued by the Bass VI concept and I thought I'd give it a go with the Harley Benton version as I could do with the extra couple of strings but I have small guitar player hands. So far, very impressed with the quality (the only adjustment I've made is to raise the height of the neck pick up as it was quite quiet). Not too heavy and the string spacing is the same as a guitar, which is comfortable for me.

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 6

I picked up Squier last year , I had just missed one that popped up on kijiji and then decided I needed to get one.

It was bought as a guilty pleasure , no plans to gig with it , I just planned to have fun with it at home.
I saw a used one at L&M , rented it for a month and realized it was not going to return to the store.

And discovered I put a lot of time simply goofing around on it.

Still do , spent so much time on it I picked up a Gretsch baritone as well.

So be careful … they’re habit forming.

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, msb said:

So be careful … they’re habit forming.

I can understand that. Day 2 and I haven't really put it down much (I didn't sleep with it). I have a gig soon and I intend to use it then so I want to get used to that string spacing after years of big boy bass spacing - that's the excuse I'm currently using. I'm probably going to change the string gauge (as has been recommended elsewhere) but apart from that I'm really happy.

Edited by Franticsmurf

If you want heavier strings, then from lightest to heaviest there are: LaBella Bass VI (26-95), Newtone Axion (24-100), and GHS Eastwood Hooky (30-105).

The Newtones are about half the price of the other two and from experience will fit just about any Bass VI, since they are designed with the Fender/Squier models and their vibrato systems in mind. Don't be fooled by the lighter high E, its the low A and E that normally need beefing up from the strings supplied with these basses. The Eastwood Hooky's might not fit on a Bass VI 6 in-line headstock as there is very little spare string to cut off when fitting these to the D and G machine heads of the Eastwood Hooky Bass. Next time I change stings on mine I'll measure the length, as it might be useful for others.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

I can understand that. Day 2 and I haven't really put it down much (I didn't sleep with it). I have a gig soon and I intend to use it then so I want to get used to that string spacing after years of big boy bass spacing - that's the excuse I'm currently using. I'm probably going to change the string gauge (as has been recommended elsewhere) but apart from that I'm really happy.

The Squiers ship with the old set that has an 85 E , many complained the they needed a heavier string. Fender actually listened and now you can buy the Fender VI set with a 100 E .

The heavier strings make a huge difference. The HBs ship with an 84 E. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the recommendations above - and with the heads up about string lengths. I was thinking of replacing the 84E with a 95 or 100 and shifting the 84 to the A. Bearing in mind that this is experimentation until I find a combination I like. I'm happy with the other 4 as they are although I wouldn't be averse to going lighter on the B and high E.  

One of the reasons for this purchase was to use in a band with a lot of chord/rhythm instruments (3 Ukes, two guitars and a piano) to allow me to add some melody when the bass is not required to drive the songs. The lighter high strings will help cut through.

8 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Thanks for the recommendations above - and with the heads up about string lengths. I was thinking of replacing the 84E with a 95 or 100 and shifting the 84 to the A. Bearing in mind that this is experimentation until I find a combination I like. I'm happy with the other 4 as they are although I wouldn't be averse to going lighter on the B and high E.  

In that case give the Newtone strings a go. They're currently just under £20 a set and at the moment if you buy two sets you'll get 10% off. That's considerably cheaper than either the LaBella's or the GHS Hooky set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Where's the box? Or it doesn't exist, that's the rules! 😏

Here it is.

P1120719.thumb.JPG.e7f085e360a85cf22b18e2d69d6ea5e6.JPG

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed by the sound. I was expecting a solid body box but when I took the free gift out, I found it was a hollow body. The sound is a bit boxy and muffled - very percussive but there's no bite and I suspect it would disappear when played within a band. And the build quality! It's held together with staples and packing tape. The body isn't contoured so the playing position is uncomfortable. But worst of all is that neck profile and width. 🤣

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Not really sure what kind of cardboard to be honest, but I suspect a laminate of some kind. I do like the natural finish, but I was hoping for a little more corrugated effect.

Maybe it's a Chinese ripoff... Chardboard?

Nice bass btw :D

• Thanks 1

On 04/10/2022 at 18:29, BigRedX said:

In that case give the Newtone strings a go.

Thanks. Just ordered two sets although they're currently out of stock.

In the meantime I stole a 100 string from my 5 string (technically now a 4 string) and changed the A(72) for the 84. I had to cut the strings to length and unwind the 100 a little for the thinner bit to fit through the tuner hole. Then had to go out and get an appropriate round file to enlarge the nut grooves. A great improvement but if I'd know it would be so much trouble, I would have stuck with the cardboard box and recycled the guitar. 😀

As I don't have a case for the cardboard box, I just took the Guitarbass VI to rehearsal last night. With the 100 (E) and 84 (A) replacing the supplied 84 and 72, I got a really nice bass sound through my BAM200 and TE 1x10 cab. Our sound guy liked the tone through the PA, too. I noticed the neck pick up pole pieces don't align with the top B and E strings and this came across in a drop in volume when playing those strings. Overall I'm still happy with the guitar and I've just about got used to the string spacing. Fingerstyle playing is not really practical but for the songs I'm doing with them, I find plucking with my index finger works quite nicely. I tried a pick, but it seemed a bit too harsh.

I think going forward it won't replace my four string basses but I will be using it on a regular basis (bassis - ha ha ... I'll get my coat) with this band. In the medium term I may replace the pick-ups.