Why become a member? ×

Overwater Aspiration Elite 5 - I'm very impressed!

franzbassist

I don't know if used to belong to a BCer, but I recently bought the 2011 Overwater Aspiration Elite that was on sale at Bass Direct and I am really impressed with how good it is.

I was in the market for a nice but inexpensive fretted 5 as a second bass, and this fits the bill really well.

T1.jpg

First of all, it's in great condition.  I don't think there's a mark on it anywhere.  The fingerboard needed an oil, but other than that all is good.

image.thumb.png.8d5052c7ae8af5b2404948b4dd5d74ab.png

It's a five piece neck through, maple and something walnut-like would be my guess, with what appears to be an ash body capped with a burl maple top.  Very nice.

image.thumb.png.3cc382ffd4c4bdd6d774374e0449860a.png

It's 35" scale, so a nice tight B string, and the 19mm spacing at the bridge is perfect for me (same as my Franz basses) and the main reason I got it.

104EEDA7-53B8-400C-82E6-B4FDC7B3FB1A.jpeg

EQ is a three band Overwater system designed by John East. The control cavity is thoroughly shielded using paint and copper tape.  The bridge and pickups are Overwater branded too, but I assume made in Korea along with the bass itself.  The standard tuners were mini Gotoh-like ones, but as the bass was a bit neck heavy I have swapped them for Gotoh ResOLites which take the weight to bang on 9 lbs and have sorted the balance.  Other than that the bass is stock.

Live, the bass is really articulate: every note comes through crisp and clear.  I honestly wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it does!

I've played basses way more expensive than this that weren't half as good! :)

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, franzbassist said:

The bridge and pickups are Overwater branded too, but I assume made in Korea along with the bass itself.

Apart from the tie-up with Tanglewood, AFAIK, all Overwater basses are made in the UK.

You could always email them and ask for some details on your new bass.

Great basses! And congrats on snagging your bass🙂

I had a couple of Elites - a flame maple 5 and a wenge 4 as well as a cherry red fretless 5 Deluxe. Mine were all bolt on.

Only moved them on as part of a general cull of my bass collection  which had gotten out of hand at the time. Really liked them, played the Elite 5 a fair bit in the band I was in and it always sounded really good, especially with the pan pot in the middle and a smidge of bass boost.  The pull up for prescence/hi treble was a handy feature too. 

Would definitely buy another if I had the funds. 

Screenshot_20220928-190811_Photos.thumb.jpg.fdbc9465b4ba369059e9210acafae7d6.jpg

Screenshot_20220928-191234_Photos.thumb.jpg.357fe7103f9d6f6ab68db4ee5dea65fd.jpg

• Like 1