Why become a member? ×

Advice on learning to play drums (not me)

Jolltax

My daughter has been home for the holidays from University and working in a cafe to earn some cash.  She worked hard all summer, having amassed said cash I asked her what she was going to do with it.  I am not sure what I expected her to say, but for sure I almost fell off my chair when she said "I think I might buy a drum kit and learn to play the drums"

She has obviously been thinking about it a lot and done her research, and wants an Alesis electronic drum kit - she can't have an acoustic drum kit where she lives.  She wants to make sure she has room in her accommodation before buying any kit.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how she can get the best possible start and whether the above kit is suitable - she is a bit shy, so I doubt she will want to have face to face lessons with someone she doesn't know but would probably do online lessons or a course.  I don't know any drummers and figured there are bound to be some on here.

I haven't told her, but I will buy her the gear in any case if she thinks she can fit it in her room. I am trying not to show how excited and pleased I am, as it will probably put her off! 

Before anyone asks, I have tried to get her to try / play bass so many times, not in the slightest interested ..... 😢

J

The only word of caution I would add is that even electronic drum kits can generate quite a lot of acoustic noise. The mesh heads are quieter than the older "rubber" ones, but the biggest problem will be the kick drum pedal which if she is living anywhere other than on the ground floor will sound like she is constantly stamping on the floor to anyone living below her. 

I've had to build a floating "podium" to allow our drummer to play electronic drums in my studio without disturbing anyone in the rooms below.

• Thanks 1

If you're buying her an Alesis E Kit,  and as you say she's a beginner, i  guess you may well be getting her the Turbo Mesh Kit.  I believe it's the entry level mesh kit from Alesis.

Mesh kits are everywhere now, even on entry level kits.  Alesis are one of the good names, as are Roland.  There some compromises to be made when buying entry level kits, but that's to be expected.  You dont know at this point whether she'll love drumming or hate it.

AS  for what BRX said about noise, it's something i can concur on. 22 years ago when i was a gigging drummer, i had a Roland mesh kit and the the bass drum is the biggest problem if you have neighbours. Although quiter than an acoustic kit, you still send that thump thump through the walls.  Even worse if you live in a flat above people.

You will need to isolate in such a case, as BRX said

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2022 at 17:10, Jolltax said:

Before anyone asks, I have tried to get her to try / play bass so many times, not in the slightest interested ..... 😢

J

That’s okay - at least you tried and at least she doesn’t want to be a guitarist 

• Haha 1

Bought an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit for my son a few years ago, he loves it, but like everyone's said, they're still not quiet, especially the kick/bass drum. 

There's a USB plug on the back, as well as a mini jack socket to plug in an audio source (like a phone) to play along with songs. There was a link to an online drum teaching website Melodics which looked quite good, and had a fair few resources. It was free to sign up, and I think that it had a free membership period for Alesis kit owners, then reverts to a subscription. You'd have to investigate that, as my son didn't show any interest in it, he just wanted to play along to songs on his phone.

A good set of headphones is a good idea as well. 

• Thanks 1