Why become a member? ×

NBD - 2001 Basslab L-Bow

Chris2112

On 16/09/2022 at 21:53, LukeFRC said:

what’s the deal - he’s got his own preamps but the stepabout is also on the Richter EE website - and I have a bass with one of their pres in it - is there a link?

The Basslab preamps have always been made by Andreas Richter, just like the StepAbout (I owned one and it's a very versatile dual preamp, and expensive).

There's a collaboration between the two since the beginning.

That said Richter preamps are simply, to date, the most transparent preamp you can find.

You can find Richter products here (only official retailer for Europe) : https://www.bassparts.de/epages/61038859.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61038859/Categories/Richter-Elektroniken

• Like 1

On 18/09/2022 at 20:19, itu said:

Who was the first to use the bow? Jerry Auerswald? Roland G-77 synth bass?

Roland started the G-707 (synth guitar) in 1983 and the G-77 (synth bass) in 1984, both with the Stabilisation Arm aka Bow.

Jerry Auerswald only started building instruments a decade later.

So definitely Roland, @itu. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I had the opportunity to play a BassLab fretless sixer in the early 2000's as Music Store in Köln was an official retailer.

It's a bit strange at first, but then you understand the ideas behind the conception quite quickly.

It sounded huge with some kind of inherent reverb, but was way out of my league money wise...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Roland started the G-707 (synth guitar) in 1983 and the G-77 (synth bass) in 1984, both with the Stabilisation Arm aka Bow.

Jerry Auerswald only started building instruments a decade later.

So definitely Roland, @itu. 😉

I'm sure that I've seen similar in something from the Middle Ages :D 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Hellzero said:

It sounded huge with some kind of inherent reverb, but was way out of my league money wise...

You've hit the nail on the head there about that inherent reverb. I was playing it when it I read your post and it struck me then that you are quite right, there is a resonant 'air' in the tone that is quite unlike anything else I've played. The other bass in my collection closest in 'spirit' and materials to the Basslab is my Bogart Blackstone. That has none of the 'airy' quality of the L-Bow. Well, I suppose with it being hollow all the way through, it will vibrate in a different way to a solid slab of material. 

• Like 1