Why become a member? ×

Machine head screw missing, extremely hard to turn close to pitch, central colum extending?

forgetfulaxe39

Hey this is my first time on here so I don't really know what I'm doing. Essentially for a while now the screw on the end of my machine head, keeping the twisty thing in place, has gone missing. But it was all okay because I could put it back on to tune it up and then put it in pocket. 

I've recently restrung my bass and when tightening the D string it got increasingly tighter and tighter even though the pitch was all the way down at B1 or something and it got so tight that I couldn't keep turning it. 

That's when I looked at the back and saw the central colum of the machine head had extended past the rest of the machine head. 

Was barely able to loosen the string to the point where the machine head had no tension and could move the central colum back but it would just extend whenever tightened again so I don't know what to do.

Also, I know the rubbery bearing thing isnt on there in vid but it was only way to fit the twisty thing back on to it in order to get the leverage to loosen it. Any help would be appreciated greatly, many thanks for dealing w

received_618172829704569.thumb.jpeg.c766bb32ae6999f601a5e29af5e9b276.jpeg

As above ^.  Also, look at the keys sideways on, there is a small screw holding the key onto the gear shaft etc.

image.png.6b8c814dbcdb749a35a642411b1050c3.png

Is this screw missing?  This can cause the gear shaft to exit out of the machine head as in your picture.  If so I am sure there are many spare ones available on BC.

Edited by 3below
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, itu said:

Now quickly to local screw shop to buy one. The tuning machine will eventually break after a short time. Take a look at the open tuners and you may see, that the construction will break without all parts required. Run! or start saving for a new unit.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/bass-tuning

Ah I see well the screw has been missing for a few months now so probably foooked 

30 minutes ago, 3below said:

As above ^.  Also, look at the keys sideways on, there is a small screw holding the key onto the gear shaft etc.

image.png.6b8c814dbcdb749a35a642411b1050c3.png

Is this screw missing?  This can cause the gear shaft to exit out of the machine head as in your picture.  If so I am sure there are many spare ones available on BC.

Yes it's that screw, is there a page for spare screws? Not tryna be sarcastic I guinenely have no idea lmao 

hello, 

as well as a new screw you will also need the little washers that go between the button (the twisty thing) and the main body of the tuner.

your profile says you are in the north east of england, if you are near to Newcastle (west end not far from the west road and the A1) then i might have a sutable screw in my stash somewhere, failing that it might be posible to buy another tuner and then use one for parts to get a working one (a complete set of replacement tuners might also be an option and needent be that expensive)

Matt

You might have ruined the tuner by now, and you might need a whole new replacement tuner at this point, but I'd say it is still definitely worth a shot getting a replacement screw and see if you can fix it.

And as a general advice for the future, it's a good idea to assume screws are not just there for the looks but that they actually serves a function, especially if something comes lose right beneath a missing screw. ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 2 weeks later...

If I can just throw in something else here, the washer is missing here:

image.png.1223643e272623c80c8ec09e5b0e1a8e.png

These are little nylon washers that effectively lubricate the rotation between the machine head peg and the tuning mechanism.  Inevitably, the tightening of the tuner will just mean it'll just tighten against the mechanism cover.  You do need to have something in there.

By way of a temporary fix just get one of these, make a hole in it so it fixes snugly around the shaft, nip off the rest of it and reinstall the tuning key/peg.

image.thumb.png.997ca3e8f6a89eb182f89107124f9265.png