Why become a member? ×

Do you have any recommendations for flats for an acoustic bass?

ossyrocks

Hi chaps,

I have "acquired" an acoustic bass in need of some TLC. The neck is rather banana like, the pre-amp is shot and the bridge is lifting off the body.

The plan is to ditch the electronics for the time being, adjust the truss rod, and remove and reglue the bridge (I've bought a deep throated clamp for the purpose.....ooo err)

I can actually play the thing to an extent, bearing in mind the above description, the main problem being the higher than desirable action. 

So, assuming I find my "round tuit", what flats would you recommend for acoustic bass?

Cheers,

Rob

PS: I'll try to post some progress pics in the relevant section as I go.

I've always liked Roto 88 black nylons on mine and they've been on there for well over 10 years. I had Galli black nylon tape wound on there as well which were fantastic, I don't think they have a UK supplier though so you're probably looking at £80, they do last forever so cheap in the long run.

With acoustic bass you're best playing to its strengths and black nylons do that very well IMO, if you like thump (and also no frets!) they are well worth a look.

• Like 1

Boring old fart alert! 

Make sure you can get the neck straightened enough to cope with the (generally) extra tension of flats before spending out on strings. 

I've got Fender tapewounds on my fretless and fretted acoustics. They seem quite different to 'normal' tapewounds as they're relatively zingy. They feel like a roundwound with a slippery tape wrap rather than flat feeling like most tapes. 

I really like them.