Why become a member? ×

Belated NBD: Sandberg Superlight 5 string.

fretmeister

Courtesy of JoeBass of this parish I now have a lovely new-to-me Sandberg Superlight TT5.

Some will know I'm a big fan of the SL basses and I have a 4 string already.

I have been looking for a 5 string for ages and this one is a particularly lightweight example at only 6lb 12oz! Under 7lb for a full scale 5 string is amazing. Even Sandberg suggest most of the 5 string superlights are just under 8lb.

It balances perfectly and the neck is very comfy. Sandbergs have my favourite necks of all basses.

As an added bonus it's got the East J-Retro Deluxe preamp. A massive confusion of stacked knobs and switches. My first thought was "that's coming out and EMGs are going in" but after playing with it quite a lot it now makes a lot of sense. I wasn't a fan of the Sandberg pickups with the stock preamp in my 4 string but with the East they seem to be much better so I'll hold off from ordering my usual EMGs for a while.

It now has some Thomastik Jazz Roundwounds on it and I still need to tweak the intonation a little but it's nearly there. 

However - it will, at some point, get a finger ramp to help with my finger injury (I did warn @Andyjr1515 when he made the last one for me! :D ), and I will put some stickers on the neck for fret dots.

Most of all though - that tort plate is going! Tort is only for the type of pervert that puts pineapple on pizza! I'll get a black one for that classic black & maple look. It will then match my 4 string. #OCD 

Thanks again to Joe for an easy transaction, and a lovely bass. Next big band rehearsal is in about 2 weeks and we've got a new band leader (not met them yet) but I will be taking this.

Sandberg TT5 superlight.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Most of all though - that tort plate is going! Tort is only for the type of pervert that puts pineapple on pizza! 

11 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m afraid that’s me 😁, very nice bass indeed fretmeister, I don’t pay much attention to weight but under 7lb  sounds really light 

Me too, tort on basses, pineapple on pizza, things that are right & proper in life.

• Thanks 1

The 6 string version of this bass is the lightest production 6 I’ve ever seen and they must work some sorcery to get it to balance as most light 6s are terribly headstock heavy. However whenever one turns up at Bass Direct it’s gone within a couple of days. This bass looks nice!

• Like 1