Why become a member? ×

Epiphone T-Bird Vintage Pro

NikNik

9 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Anyone got one? Comparisons to the Gibbo model?

Depends what you are after in a Thunderbird-shaped bass.

The current Gibson Thunderbirds have "evolved" away from the 60s original while the Epiphone version is supposed to be pretty close. This means that the current offering from the two companies have little in common other than an overall similar shape.

I'd say that the current Epiphone is so good on a price/quality ratio that you'd be a fool to buy the Gibson.  Better (to my ears anyway) pickups (how tired and old are those TB+ pickups sounding, Gibson?), better bridge (two piece with tailpiece vs. the dreaded 3 pointer), similar construction (I don't see what going from a 7 ply neck to a 9 ply on the Gibson brings to the table other than being a bigger number) and just look at all that lovely chrome on the Epiphone.

Your call, but I wouldn't give a current Gibson Thunderbird houseroom right now.  I had a recent Epiphone Thunderbird and thought it was great, just didn't care for the ergonomics so sold it and got an Embassy instead (same pickups, different body, set neck instead of thru).  The Thunderbird was fun though and looked great at the gig - I felt quite rockstarish playing it 😎

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 4

I liked my sunburst one so much I bought a white one as well. The spec on epiphone.com states that they are now being made with an indian laurel fingerboard, which won't be as good looking as the blackwood tek used on the earlier ones which resembles bazilian rosewood, and as it doesn't shrink/expand with the seasons, makes the bass immune to fret-sprout.

On 12/08/2022 at 10:11, NikNik said:

Compared to the early '60s model. Never played one, but an EPi has come up at a good price.

If you're benchmark is an original 60s Gibson, the Epiphone Vintage Pro is a lot closer than anything with a Gibson logo on it made since 1980.

• Like 1