Why become a member? ×

The original DIY cab

alexclaber

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='145900' date='Feb 24 2008, 10:39 AM']Alex did you consider going the wedge shaped route for this cab at any point?[/quote]

I did consider some degree of tilt but concluded the cons outweighed the pros - less internal volume for given exterior dimensions, more difficult build and not so great when providing FOH as well as monitoring. With a cab of this height and a midrange driver there should be plenty of detail getting up to my ears. I'm considering having an flip handle to give me some tilt on the micro cab.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='152407' date='Mar 6 2008, 02:48 PM']Five sides of second cab built. Baffle cut out. Voila!

Alex[/quote]

You're going to have to get hold of a Digital Camera mate.
Would luv to see this develop...

Especially your mini monitor style cab.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='152412' date='Mar 6 2008, 02:55 PM']You're going to have to get hold of a Digital Camera mate.[/quote]

Links sorted! Seems picasaweb and basschat don't get on.

[quote name='eude' post='152412' date='Mar 6 2008, 02:55 PM']Especially your mini monitor style cab.[/quote]

Not sure if I'll bother with that now - we'll see. I hear a 3012LF is in the pipeline which might make it viable to build a decent compact cab - unless Andy @ Acme will sell me one of his magic little 10"s!

Alex

I'm very interested in this build. It looks like it's all going according to plan.

I'm very happy with my Acme B2s but I am considering an Eden WTX-260 + an Acme B1 for home practice and small gigs. It'd be nice not to have to always take a car to gigs.

Would you realistically need a small monitor cab? At 30" tall, that should be high enough to get some detail to your ears.

[quote name='The Funk' post='152438' date='Mar 6 2008, 03:29 PM']Would you realistically need a small monitor cab? At 30" tall, that should be high enough to get some detail to your ears.[/quote]

The small cab would be for standalone use when recording and possibly rehearsing. This beast is certainly tall enough and loud enough to handle gigs singlehandedly!

Alex

[quote name='The Funk' post='152464' date='Mar 6 2008, 04:09 PM']Ah, I get it now. If you did crack the secret of the useful small cab then you could probably go into business making them.[/quote]

I have some ideas about making a non-biamp version of this cab available, plus a more compact version with less bottom and a matching extension cab (also available as a 2x15") and maybe a simple 1x15" super lightweight cab (and a coax with tweeter version of this). We'll see how this turns out first!

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='153130' date='Mar 7 2008, 03:15 PM']Look into the Beyma 605Nd. It's about 64 quid in the UK. It'll match the kappalite for sensitivity and if you are not using a tertiary driver as a tweeter, this driver pushes out quite a bit beyond 5K for a bit more than your usual midrange units before dropping off.[/quote]

Ah yes, nice speaker! Not one I'd found before but seems roughly on a par with the 6ND410 for less money. Thanks!

Alex

Spent a bit more time looking at that Beyma speaker - the different y-axis scales threw me a bit. The 6ND410 plots out usefully flatter in response and just as good off-axis (Beyma plot is 30 deg, 18sound plot is 45 deg) and when you bear in mind the reduced power compression and higher sensitivity the 6ND410 has a max output 5.4dB greater.

Haven't done any physical building but have started putting together a complex number spreadsheet to design a passive crossover version of the cab. A little hard on the brain but satisfying!

Alex

Am halfway through the bracing fun and things are feeling a lot stiffer. Had one moment of confusion on the midrange sub-enclosure cutting one 45 deg angle the wrong way - doh!

Slightly puzzled about the choice of bolts and t-nuts for securing the speakers - how small can I get away with?

Alex

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='154847' date='Mar 10 2008, 07:58 PM']...If you are willing, Line X is available in the UK, and costs roughly 75 quid to 'do' a speaker box. At least in my neck of the woods... they sell franchises to operators but I don't know if they manage the retail prices to maintain some semblance of equity. [url="http://www.line-x.co.uk/"]http://www.line-x.co.uk/[/url]

have fun,[/quote]
A cheaper alternative might be Protecta-kote. A paint finish that you put on with a roller, which contains rubber granules . One £15 tin will do all six sides of an Omni 12 (28x24x15 inches), and it is available from chandlers etc.
[url="http://www.protectakote.co.uk/index.htm?gclid=CIiE45mNi5ICFRKHMAodqU589g"]http://www.protectakote.co.uk/index.htm?gc...CFRKHMAodqU589g[/url]

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='158986' date='Mar 17 2008, 03:27 PM']I assume you are adding a fair number of 'panel to panel' cross braces as well as the side panel braces ?[/quote]

Indeed, though I can't be sure where to fit them until the drivers are in and handles mounted - making the first cab takes a lot more thinking than subsequent ones I suspect! Am planning to place panels under compression whilst fitting crossbraces to further raise the resonant frequency of the panels.

Just in the process of ordering parts for a passive crossover and L-pad - as I've had some interest from other bassists who'd need a non-biamp cab I thought I might as well try it for myself too! Fortunately the drivers have fairly flat impedance around the crossover point which means using a resistive model should give decent results, though I'm still working on putting together a reactive complex model for the best possible results.

Alex

Hi Alex, from looking at the specs of the speakers and crossover and the frequency that you have chosen to tune the cab to, this is going to sound very powerful with a realistic low end response. I lke the size as well and the intelligent selection of timbers. I'd be very interested in two 8 ohm 15" subs to match my AccuGrooves or one at 4 ohms. With the 3015LF's and your lightweight cabs they would be ideal.
PM me some prices if you are going to make any more.
Cheers Steve.