Why become a member? ×

The original DIY cab

alexclaber

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='163088' date='Mar 25 2008, 12:42 PM']Hows the build going Alex...expected it to be finished by now....... :)[/quote]

Been busy doing a combination of DIY and nothing the last week or so - so the build is no further on. However, am hoping to have it making noise by the weekend.

Alex

[quote name='RichBowman' post='167090' date='Mar 31 2008, 05:50 PM']I've a 3-door, so I'm watching this with great interest.... ;-)[/quote]

Great cars, apparently unbreakable (fingers crossed)!

Just had a breakthrough on the design of an improved crossover which takes into account impedance and phase variations.

Alex

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='167433' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:34 AM']Alex, Less nonsing around with the crossover and get building...!! :)[/quote]

Yes sir!

Just had a bright idea for a compact cab using the 2510-II for low SPL use. Pluggable ports for three different alignments (normal tuning, low tuning and sealed) to reduce the lows in small boomy spaces (i.e. my drummer's loft when we're recording) or gigs with big PA subs. No tweeter or midrange but some cunning circuitry to reduce the midrange and extend the treble, so it'll be pretty directional but that's what you want in a personal monitor.

Alex

[quote name='gilmour' post='168830' date='Apr 3 2008, 12:34 AM']lol - We can't all build at Perry speed :huh:[/quote]

:)

If it was not for work and band rehearsals getting in the way of proper stuff (ie cab building) My omni 15 would have been done by now......

Alex...its a race to the finish line here mate..... ;)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Oooo I do like a good bit of woodwork......

[quote name='The Funk' post='177507' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:24 AM']It makes a lot of sense to have a mid-range speaker and not bother with a tweeter.[/quote]

I am far from convinced about not having a HF element, however this [i]entirely boils down to taste in Bass tone[/i], what sort of bass you are using and if you are playing with flatwounds...

Certainly the Omni15 without the HF elements sound lifeless to me (even with the horn loaded mid range driver), howevor some other users dont even notice if the horn is on or off. I am just replacing the HF element in my Omni 15 with a slightly more sensitive HF melded array to lift up the top end a little more.

Cant wait to see the finished box Alex !

Dave

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='177572' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:01 AM']I am far from convinced about not having a HF element, however this [i]entirely boils down to taste in Bass tone[/i], what sort of bass you are using and if you are playing with flatwounds...

Certainly the Omni15 without the HF elements sound lifeless to me (even with the horn loaded mid range driver), howevor some other users dont even notice if the horn is on or off. I am just replacing the HF element in my Omni 15 with a slightly more sensitive HF melded array to lift up the top end a little more.[/quote]

I've decided to initially try this box without any padding on the midrange driver, so the response will rise by about 3dB above 750Hz:

i.e. the plot will follow the light blue line until the purple line rises higher and then it'll follow the purple line. Either way the midrange ends up -3dB @ 5-6kHz and -10dB @ 9kHz. Obviously it won't have that tweeter sparkle but it should have enough treble for most bassists. The Omni 15's midrange speaker being horn loaded doesn't go as high (horn acts as a bandpass filter) so I'd expect that to have more need of a tweeter, which the no tweeter plot confirms.

Am thinking I should have just used a strap handle, this cab's so light that recessed bar handles are overkill.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='177586' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:38 AM']The Omni 15's midrange speaker being horn loaded doesn't go as high (horn acts as a bandpass filter) so I'd expect that to have more need of a tweeter, which the no tweeter plot confirms...[/quote]

Yep.. see that now....Looking forward to the result !!

Shame you are so far away from me as I would love to see and hear it.....hey ho.... :)

Certainly the Omni 15 is not a one handle lift (still a very light cab for its size though)

Dave

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='177619' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:27 AM']Certainly the Omni 15 is not a one handle lift (still a very light cab for its size though)[/quote]

Obviously this will be a few lbs heavier once it's finished but as it stands it feels significantly lighter than my rack, and my rack is somewhere between 40 and 50lbs. I think we're looking at easily under 40lbs complete, which will be amazing!

I bet the Omni 15TB has that same psychological affect of feeling even lighter than it is because you don't expect such big boxes to be light. My RIM Custom 5 is like that too - maybe an ounce or two lighter than my Warwick but feels lighter because it's that much bigger.

Alex

[quote name='The Funk' post='178187' date='Apr 16 2008, 06:55 PM']Bloody hell. How do you expect it to compare to your old pair of Acme B2s?[/quote]

Not as deep bass extension, more sensitive, obviously less treble extension, similar maximum low frequency output, greater maximum midrange output.

I have three words for this evening: ****ing tee nuts. What a ****ing pain in the ****ing neck. Wood screws into three layers of 9mm ply in future methinks...

Also, been fitting the port and it seems to need to be much longer than the calculated length to get the original planned tuning frequency. Bizarre.

Alex