Why become a member? ×

Hell its my Hellborg...........................

voxpop

[quote name='alexclaber' post='465152' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:43 PM']It's certainly a very appealing preamp! Unfortunately adding all that EQ whilst maintaining signal integrity is very expensive, hence the vast price difference between it and the U5 (and similarly between the U5 and Avalon's other preamps).

I'm unfamiliar with the effects of output transformers on tone - I'm just aware that if they're not large enough they can form a bottleneck due to the magnetic fields from the two coils failing to couple fully at high power - and that with the high output impedance of a valve amp you have to have an output transformer to shift over to the low voltage high current drive that a speaker needs. But when you have a solidstate power stage you already have the right output impedance so Jonas must prefer what an output transformer does to the tone. I notice the amps are relatively low power (compared to other standalone power amps, they're not much different to typical bass heads) and thus wonder if he likes the sound of a transformer coupled solidstate power amp running beyond its linear zone?

Alex[/quote]

Bloody hell!!! your a clever bugger :) - lee

[quote name='escholl' post='465207' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:28 PM']to be honest, i think the whole transformer thing is ridiculous. the best output xformers will have little or no effect on the tone -- the "tube" sound comes from the way they tend to have harmonic distortion at different harmonics to transistors (you know this already though). tube amps have output transformers because the have to -- it just goes to show what happens when someone who hasn't studied engineering designs something.

having said that, i'm sure it's a lovely amp! if it works, it works. :)[/quote]

i just want to add to this that output xformers distort signals in the time domain as well as the frequency domain (it's inevitable) -- so reading on the site where it says "[using transformers in the output section] is done to achieve the warmth and presence of a tube amp while maintaining the clarity and fast attack of a solid state design" it was a case of palm-->face for me.

other than that though, everything he says about the amp design is spot on.

[quote name='escholl' post='465367' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:48 PM']i just want to add to this that output xformers distort signals in the time domain as well as the frequency domain (it's inevitable) -- so reading on the site where it says "[using transformers in the output section] is done to achieve the warmth and presence of a tube amp while maintaining the clarity and fast attack of a solid state design" it was a case of palm-->face for me.

other than that though, everything he says about the amp design is spot on.[/quote]

Hey I never said I agreed with him - personally I think the idea sounds like rot, and another thing to go wrong, and extra weight to carry; but if you dig it, can afford it and lift it, and it sounds like your dream rig, then good luck to you, and I'm really pleased for the OP that he got his dream rig, I know what that feels like!

[quote name='51m0n' post='465542' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:17 PM']Hey I never said I agreed with him - personally I think the idea sounds like rot, and another thing to go wrong, and extra weight to carry; but if you dig it, can afford it and lift it, and it sounds like your dream rig, then good luck to you, and I'm really pleased for the OP that he got his dream rig, I know what that feels like![/quote]

haha yea, don't get me wrong i'm really happy for him too! and it sounds like a brilliant amp too, in every other respect. would love to be so lucky as to have a go on one! especially if it was paired with that dual 15 cab with the concentric 15... :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='465152' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:43 PM']It's certainly a very appealing preamp! Unfortunately adding all that EQ whilst maintaining signal integrity is very expensive, hence the vast price difference between it and the U5 (and similarly between the U5 and Avalon's other preamps).

I'm unfamiliar with the effects of output transformers on tone - I'm just aware that if they're not large enough they can form a bottleneck due to the magnetic fields from the two coils failing to couple fully at high power - and that with the high output impedance of a valve amp you have to have an output transformer to shift over to the low voltage high current drive that a speaker needs. But when you have a solidstate power stage you already have the right output impedance so Jonas must prefer what an output transformer does to the tone. I notice the amps are relatively low power (compared to other standalone power amps, they're not much different to typical bass heads) and thus wonder if he likes the sound of a transformer coupled solidstate power amp running beyond its linear zone?

Alex[/quote]
i guess it could effect the frequency response making it a bit more linear and theres also transformer distortion which could be pleasing to the ears other than that i see no real point in it other than adding a solid lump of metal to the amp