Why become a member? ×

Fretboard versus fretless

Hey there Mates!!!

I am new in the bass world so I am attempting to invest quite a good money for, me between a fender jazz bass Fretless professional number two or the same model with Fretboard,  so I am dubious about it I already own a fretless one but I would like to receive your expertise and advice before making such a decision like this that for me, means quite a lot of money I am very excited to receive your opinions on what are your preferences between both types of basses!!!

Best regards Roberto Gonzalez🙏🏼

There's a fretboard in both models, be it a fretted or a fretless.

If you like to play fretless, another similar bass may be overkill. Think about a different sounding fretless like Music Man.

If you think you would like to try a fretted bass, consider similar bass like your fretless is. This way you can get some advantage over the dimensions of the bass, and your muscle memory.

• Like 1

Do you want a fretted or fretless instrument? They are quite different. Only you can decide. We can't really help with that. If, as an existing fretless player, you wish to try a fretted bass, I would buy something inexpensive to see how you get on with it. If you buy a new Fender JB professional, you will lose money on it if you decide to sell it.

37 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Frets are fun too.

I mainly play fretless.

I think you should have a crack at fretted. You might not like it at all but you can always sell it for what you paid for it if you go used.

it's bit back to front to begin on a fretless and then debate wether to have a crack at fretted,... if it was me i would have one of each just to experience the full gamut ....later on i might then focus on just one or the other ...or both like i do.