Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB2 gigbag/case

BassAgent

So I just bought a vintage Gibson EB2 which is absolutely killer, but it doesn't fit in a regular gigbag (of course). It came in a non-original hardcase which is meant for a long scale acoustic bass, and doesn't exactly fit.
Any ideas where to get a (affordable) case or bag for this classic bass, which gives it the protection and neck support it needs? I read things about the Jack Casady case, would that work (also with the neck support)?

Edited by BassAgent

Here's some visual confirmation of an EB-2 inside an Epiphone Jack Casady hard case:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/case-for-a-gibson-eb-2.577338/#post-10250565

As expected because the EB-2 is short scale and the JC is long scale there's a bit of a gap at the head end, but the body looks snug enough and the neck is still supported.

There are gigbags which fit such basses, but I would think that a hard case would be more appropriate for a older instrument like this, and I suspect that's how you feel also.

Edited by neepheid

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Here's some visual confirmation of an EB-2 inside an Epiphone Jack Casady hard case:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/case-for-a-gibson-eb-2.577338/#post-10250565

As expected because the EB-2 is short scale and the JC is long scale there's a bit of a gap at the head end, but the body looks snug enough and the neck is still supported.

There are gigbags which fit such basses, but I would think that a hard case would be more appropriate for a older instrument like this, and I suspect that's how you feel also.

Thanks! I was checking out the JCS case but they seem pretty impossible to find anywhere. I do prefer a proper gigbag though, also for my vintage Fenders :)

If it's gigbags you want, Warwick Rockbag do some which will fit semi-hollow basses.  They refer to them as hollowbody.  I used them for Jack Casady basses but my current one came with a gigbag because it's the 20th Anniversary model.

I had a Warwick Rockbag for my MiK StarBass (similar sized hollow body to the EB2 but long-scale neck). Fell to bits after about 18 months of normal use. I certainly wouldn't want to trust it to protecting anything valuable and/or difficult to replace.

41 minutes ago, neepheid said:

We need to be clear which one we're talking about, as there are two:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_hollowbody_bass_gig_bag.htm

or

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_starline_hollowbody_e_bass_bag.htm

?

The one I had looked more like the cheaper of the two and was the only suitable Warwick Rockbag available for the StarBass at the time that I bought it.

However looking at the detail photos of both I notice that the more expensive version has the same terrible (and uncomfortable) strap fixing system as the one I had. For that reason alone I would be very wary of it.

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The one I had looked more like the cheaper of the two and was the only suitable Warwick Rockbag available for the StarBass at the time that I bought it.

However looking at the detail photos of both I notice that the more expensive version has the same terrible (and uncomfortable) strap fixing system as the one I had. For that reason alone I would be very wary of it.

Agreed, the straps are very poorly designed.  I had the more expensive one.  I often like to sling my bass over one shoulder for a short trip from the car to the venue/rehearsal room and if I remember correctly, the bass would swing round so that the neck was sticking out to the side due to the weight distribution.  Was pretty annoying.  Said as much in my review on Thomann.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options out there for semi-hollow players :(

I do think that the OP should keep searching for an Epi JC hard case to keep the EB-2 safe.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2022 at 18:14, Paul S said:

Might be worth measuring up a case for a 335 style semi-hollow guitar?  I had one a few years ago and a number of basses I had fitted with room to spare, albeit none with big bodies.

My first Bass was  an EB2 and I compared it with a Gibson 335, they were identical in body and neck dimensions.

• Like 1