Why become a member? ×

Funny (ha ha or peculiar) gear transactions

Mickeyboro

C&P from the dusty end of basschat circa 2014:

Basschat fans everywhere will remember this thread about the Blockheads bassist selling his Fender Jazz on eBay

So Norman gave his guitar to Andy (Baxter) to sell, who lists it on eBay
the link gets posted on Basschat (thanks to BC user thebrig!)
I show the link to my bassist pal Matt
Matt shows the link to his dad and bass tutor Laurence Canty
Laurence shows the link to his ex-student Colin
Colin contacts Andy and puts a deposit down, and subsequently buys the bass.

And that's the story of how Colin Greenwood out of Radiohead bought Blockhead Norman Watt-Roy's 1962 Shoreline Gold Fender Jazz bass.

Also, (different story), after John Giblin playing a Takamine TB-10 with Kate Bush in her 2014 shows, I decide to find a Takamine TB-10 for myself somehow. Time passes, stuff happens, yada yada, I've now got John Giblin's Takamine TB-10 from the Kate Bush shows.

• Like 7

I bought a Marshall 50w head and 4x12 from a bloke in a pub in Willenhall (the Brown Jug at Lane Head, if you know the area) in about 1973/4, he claimed he was Noddy Holder's roadie and they had been given a load of new stuff by management so the old gear was being sold off. I never checked out if the story was true, but it was decent and well worn gear and the story suited me to believe it. My first amp & cab, it lasted me a fair few years before I foresaw back-knack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I'm selling a personal monitor to some old guy from Basschat and he's meeting me in Shaftsbury over a drink to do the exchange in a couple of weeks. Who knows where this will end up in the anals of history....

Do you mean annals? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Must have been a Freudian slip.......?

I would guess 'anals' would rate as  'peculiar' and 'annals' as 'funny ha ha' depending on one's  orientation?

I think this could well turn out to be an annals horribilis!😁

A bit obscure for anyone not into the genre, but before he got big I had some online chat with dubstep producer Zomby who sold a cracked copy of Reason to me - or at least he took the money but never posted it to me. After a lot of hassling he offered to send me some p0rn to 'chill me out' (which he didn't!) eventually he gave me a full refund so I don't have any complaints other than the hassle caused. Shortly after, he got quite famous and there was controversy that he copied someone's tune (also made on Reason) and released it as his own, and quite a few more stories of obnoxious online behaviour....to the point that I wouldn't be suprised if he googled himself to find this thread and registered on Basschat just to send me threatening messages!

• Like 3