Why become a member? ×

A laugh or a good buy

Its the german guy again. he's always good for a chuckle. i have no idea what shrunken old guitar scratchplates are worth but the actual guitar must be worth a mint.
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1962-FENDER-STRATOCASTER-PICKGUARD_W0QQitemZ180017516385QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42455QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1962-FENDER-STRATOCA...5QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='48645' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:45 PM']What a fool![/quote]

He's no fool!

That crazy advert cost him about £1, and already word of mouth is persuading people like us to go and visit his site. Most of us will laugh and move on, but some will stop to look at his "Other Items".

At his prices, his crazy adverts need only attract a single extra sale each year to justify themselves.

As always, Shakespeare had it right: "If this be madness, then there's method in it."

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='48682' date='Aug 22 2007, 02:34 AM']He's no fool!

That crazy advert cost him about £1, and already word of mouth is persuading people like us to go and visit his site. Most of us will laugh and move on, but some will stop to look at his "Other Items".

At his prices, his crazy adverts need only attract a single extra sale each year to justify themselves.

As always, Shakespeare had it right: "If this be madness, then there's method in it."[/quote]

Exactly! If you check his feedback (I flicked through the first 200) you'll see 99% of his sales are for tat worth approx £4.99. He has one sale for a 1963 Fender Strat @ £4790. Whether the Strat sold at the market value is immaterial, it does however validate the view that inflated prices for his scratchplates and general pie-in-the-sky priced items are just baited hooks to entice customers to buy from him the same tat that you can get from anywhere on eBay. Remember he can stick a listing up for 30p (or cheaper on ebay promotion days) and keep relisting it for free ad-infinitum, not bad advertising!

You (I) may think he is a money grabbing plonker but you can not say that he isn't a bloody shrewd business man.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='48699' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:00 AM']Exactly! If you check his feedback (I flicked through the first 200) you'll see 99% of his sales are for tat worth approx £4.99. He has one sale for a 1963 Fender Strat @ £4790. Whether the Strat sold at the market value is immaterial, it does however validate the view that inflated prices for his scratchplates and general pie-in-the-sky priced items are just baited hooks to entice customers to buy from him the same tat that you can get from anywhere on eBay. Remember he can stick a listing up for 30p (or cheaper on ebay promotion days) and keep relisting it for free ad-infinitum, not bad advertising!

You (I) may think he is a money grabbing plonker but you can not say that he isn't a bloody shrewd business man.[/quote]

i thought you could only relist an item once for free if it didn't sell and it was only free if it actually sold the second time and you were credited with the original listing fee. Plus an item with a BIN now price of £2750 is more like £11 (possibly a bit less if he's registered as a business seller and ebay give him a bit of a discount). Actually, there is a half price promotion today, so listing fee may be more like £22.

All which does nothing to alter the fact that he must be crazy to think that people are going to part with that sort of cash unseen for a part like that - and if they do, then they're as crazy as he is.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='48703' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:31 AM']i thought you could only relist an item once for free if it didn't sell and it was only free if it actually sold the second time and you were credited with the original listing fee. Plus an item with a BIN now price of £2750 is more like £11 (possibly a bit less if he's registered as a business seller and ebay give him a bit of a discount). Actually, there is a half price promotion today, so listing fee may be more like £22.

All which does nothing to alter the fact that he must be crazy to think that people are going to part with that sort of cash unseen for a part like that - and if they do, then they're as crazy as he is.[/quote]

The eBay listings may not be the 30p that I stated but eBay do loads of BIN listing promotions and it is literally pennies to list stuff. However, you miss the point about his listings for such items.

It doesn't matter a jot if no-one ever buys one of these items (as you say a crackpot or loaded collector might!), if you are looking at his listing he has taken the first step to getting you in the door to look at his other items. You'd be surprised how many people will glance through his other items for sale and suddenly think 'Oh, I might as well get a new switch for my Les Paul... a fivers not bad', think of how many times you've wandered through IKEA... did you really go there with the intention of buying 50 tea-light candles? No! but while you are there you may as well get them.

The guy is definitely NOT crazy. Try and separate your feelings for the guy and the fact that if he does sell one of those items he's a jammy, money grabbing g*t. That is a given and accepted fact. [b]If[/b] he gets [u]one[/u] sale at that price he is laughing (and there are people out there with more money than sense). On the other hand and probably more importantly, if someone viewing and laughing at his daft prices buys just one item that they might or might not have known they wanted/needed (the IKEA principle) before looking at his listing, he's just banked another £5/£10/£100/£200.

He is not crazy, you have to marvel at his intuition :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='48732' date='Aug 22 2007, 09:44 AM']think of how many times you've wandered through IKEA... did you really go there with the intention of buying 50 tea-light candles? No! but while you are there you may as well get them.[/quote]

Those b*stards get me everytime!

--

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-VIOLIN-BASS_W0QQitemZ7314066257QQihZ008QQ"]Scroll headstock?[/url]

Edited by paul, the

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKULL-BONER_W0QQitemZ180009492104QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33035QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKULL-BONER_W0QQitem...5QQcmdZViewItem[/url]
"Skull & [i]Boner[/i]"? Presumably so called because you'd feel a bit of a prick if you played it in public.