Why become a member? ×

XR18ists - an idiots guide to effects?

Jakester

I’ve been using my XR18 for a while now, it’s all been fine, but I still really struggle with using the effects. 

I can get a reverb on main vocals, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get that same reverb into the vocalist’s monitor (I know there are loads of reasons why you shouldn’t put reverb in the monitors, but he keeps moaning…)

The way I do effects is like this: select the main mix LR, then pick the effect in one of the four FX ‘slots’ (buses?). Click on that effect slot on the section below then Aux outs labelled FX1, 2 etc. 

Raise the faders of the channels I want the effect to affect - so for reverb, the vocalists, in differing proportions depending on who wants it. Tweak to suit. 

That’s fine, it works. But how do I send the same effected channel to the aux sends for monitoring? Clicking the particular aux out for the monitor mix and then adjusting FX1,2 etc does nothing. 

When I played around with inserting the FX on the aux we got the most god awful feedback. I don’t even know how it happened, just that it did! I wondered whether changing the aux send point might help (ie post-fader etc) but it didn’t. 

Can someone tell me an idiot’s guide to how to use the effects please? Fanku.

Right, did a bit more Googling, and this video from Behringer seems to provide the answers - @stewblackhopefully this helps you:

So this explains routing signals to the four FX buses, and they do it in the way I understood it worked - i.e. you select the FX bus on the RH of the screen, and then raise the relevant faders to send it to that effect. 

The key issue for me was that as we were doing a monitor test, I didn't have the main LR faders up, so it wasn't sending the signal to the FX bus properly. 

I will see if I can find a good explainer video for using inserts as well. I think this video is really helpful. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I shall watch these videos with great interest. Thank you.

Good luck! At worst, if you fancied getting to together to talk it through, you're only down the road from me so let me know!

Thanks @Jakester, I was literally just about to start researching this!

My band gets its vocal effects from TC-Harmonic pedals (Mic Mechanic, Duplicator, etc.) and this works just fine until someone forgets to bring the bloody pedal board to the gig. I need to know how to replace those pedals in an emergency by using the on-board sims.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Thanks @Jakester, I was literally just about to start researching this!

My band gets its vocal effects from TC-Harmonic pedals (Mic Mechanic, Duplicator, etc.) and this works just fine until someone forgets to bring the bloody pedal board to the gig. I need to know how to replace those pedals in an emergency by using the on-board sims.

I *think* the effects are also controllable via MIDI though I’m jiggered if I’d even start knowing where to look for that…!

18 minutes ago, Jakester said:

I *think* the effects are also controllable via MIDI though I’m jiggered if I’d even start knowing where to look for that…!

As far as I'm concerned, Midi was a fashionable dress length when I was a young man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 year later...