Why become a member? ×

Is there a compact lightweight power amp?

prowla

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Need to be specific. If two amps are plugged into one another by way of two cabs connected in parallel you go poof. Two amps can only be used with separate cabs.

Thanks for persevering!

1. Power-amp Ch1 output connected via a single Speakon connector to one Markbass 1x12 cab (nothing in cab's 2nd Speakon socket, ie. not daisy-chained).
  2. Power-amp Ch2 output connected via a single Speakon connector to a second Markbass 1x12 cab (nothing in cab's 2nd Speakon socket, ie. not daisy-chained).
  3. Power-amp Ch3 & Ch4 outputs not connected.
  4. Ampeg & SanAmp preamps connected to power-amp Ch1 & Ch2 XLR inputs.
  5. Power-amp's mains switch set to 0.
  6. Power-amp's vol controls set to 0.
  7. Mains cable plugged into plugboard.
  8. IEC plugged in to socket at back of power-amp, fizz-bang, house mains tripped.
  9. Note: I didn't power-on the power-amp (ie. its switch).

I had the above setup working with another power amp - I was just doing a like-for-like swap to put in the new one (bar using XLR instead of jack cables for pre- to power-amp connections).

OK, that's disappointing. After a couple of blow-ups with cheap-as-chips Chinese power amps, I finally found one that seems to work really well - so much so that I've recommended it to others.

Guess which one it was?

🙄

Beginning to think it's sheer luck of the draw, depending on which oppressed-minority orphan working for slave wages actually assembled the unit that gets delivered to you.

What I was looking for was a Chowersoft, i.e. a Chinese clone of the Powersoft Digam.

If you can swallow the price, these units are the only more-or-less guaranteed solution to the problem you describe.

https://www.powersoft.com/en/products/touring-amps/m-series/m14d

https://www.powersoft.com/en/products/touring-amps/m-series/m30d

https://www.powersoft.com/en/products/touring-amps/m-series/m50q

Powersoft units (and occasionally their clones by Martin Audio) come up quite frequently on eBay.

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

OK, that's disappointing. After a couple of blow-ups with cheap-as-chips Chinese power amps, I finally found one that seems to work really well - so much so that I've recommended it to others.

Guess which one it was?

🙄

Beginning to think it's sheer luck of the draw, depending on which oppressed-minority orphan working for slave wages actually assembled the unit that gets delivered to you.

Aye - it looks like it's a pot-luck situation (actually, I did give weight to your recommendation).

Ironically, if I'd seen the other one I happened across in a shop the week after, I wouldn't have bothered with the one from China.

GvOycWw.jpg

Edited by prowla

1 minute ago, prowla said:

I did give weight to your recommendation.

☹️

Really sorry about that, mate. I feel as deflated as you must.

FWIW incidentally, that Citronic unit is another Chinese clone of a type I tried a few years back.

It blew up.

😱

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

☹️

Really sorry about that, mate. I feel as deflated as you must.

FWIW incidentally, that Citronic unit is another Chinese clone of a type I tried a few years back.

It blew up.

😱

Fab re. the Citronix!

At least I bought it in a shop (in Bognor Regis) and it was only £150 (NOS).

• Like 1

Actually, there must be a dark cloud over prowlasville at the moment:

• I've got COVID.
  • I had the issue with the Rickenbacker TRC a couple of weeks back (fortunately got a refund).
  • I've had a pulled calf muscle for over a month.
  • This power amp issue.
  • I'm in the process of upgrading my Virgin broadband to 1 Gb, but the replacement router they sent me arrived yesterday DOA (loose piece inside which rattles).

My motto: Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!

• Haha 1

On 03/07/2022 at 10:41, prowla said:

Thanks for persevering!

1. Power-amp Ch1 output connected via a single Speakon connector to one Markbass 1x12 cab (nothing in cab's 2nd Speakon socket, ie. not daisy-chained).
  2. Power-amp Ch2 output connected via a single Speakon connector to a second Markbass 1x12 cab (nothing in cab's 2nd Speakon socket, ie. not daisy-chained).
  3. Power-amp Ch3 & Ch4 outputs not connected.
  4. Ampeg & SanAmp preamps connected to power-amp Ch1 & Ch2 XLR inputs.
  5. Power-amp's mains switch set to 0.
  6. Power-amp's vol controls set to 0.
  7. Mains cable plugged into plugboard.
  8. IEC plugged in to socket at back of power-amp, fizz-bang, house mains tripped.
  9. Note: I didn't power-on the power-amp (ie. its switch).

I had the above setup working with another power amp - I was just doing a like-for-like swap to put in the new one (bar using XLR instead of jack cables for pre- to power-amp connections).

Could it be a problem with the on/off switch itself? A short on either the switch or the IEC socket?

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

Could it be a problem with the on/off switch itself? A short on either the switch or the IEC socket?

That's my thought, or a fault in the power supply.

But anyway, it has a "Do not open" sticker over one of the lid screws, so I'm not going to look.

I messaged the seller, but haven't had a reply, so I guess I'll raise a dispute at the end of the week.

I didn't receive a reply from the seller, so I've raised the return case on ebay.

The seller replied:

Hi,

Sorry later reply to you.

we provide one year guarantee.

we ask for company engineer. engineer said voltage instability reason. the amplifer some parts is be burnt down .

need replace some electron component .

we will send to you electron component and the indicator diagram . you can change them.

or you con't change it. can back it to us. we will free help you.

Ying

Hmmm - looks like they want me to replace a part.

ebay then sent me this message:

Hello Paul,

Seller easydo2012 let us know that they can't buy a return postage label for you to return Digital Power Amplifier 5200W 4 Channel Stage Audio Speaker AMP 2CH 2600 watt.

The seller is responsible for return postage costs, so contact them to arrange return postage.

I'm not sure I want to trust replacement parts, so I'll look to do the return.

I'll also have to see what to do about the VAT & import duties paid.

• 1 month later...

FYI, an update: a couple of weeks ago I escalated the case with ebay and got a refund of the amount paid and today I received a further refund of the UPS return postage, so I'm at net zero.

OTOH, I've not spent much time with the rack and the other power-amp in it, plus I've gone and broken a finger (luckily only my right-hand pinky, but it's still a niggle when I play).

On a plus side, I did pick up a rather nice Tokai Strat a couple of weeks ago, which I've had my eye on for a few years, so mustn't grumble...

2pmdvBP.jpg

47 minutes ago, prowla said:

FYI, an update: a couple of weeks ago I escalated the case with ebay and got a refund of the amount paid and today I received a further refund of the UPS return postage, so I'm at net zero.

OTOH, I've not spent much time with the rack and the other power-amp in it, plus I've gone and broken a finger (luckily only my right-hand pinky, but it's still a niggle when I play).

On a plus side, I did pick up a rather nice Tokai Strat a couple of weeks ago, which I've had my eye on for a few years, so mustn't grumble...

2pmdvBP.jpg

Now, if that was a Tokai Hard Puncher P Bass I would be swooning.

• Like 1