Why become a member? ×

Hello from Dublin!

Szymbrush

Hey everyone! Another beginner joining the flock, started last summer  and - against my expectations - got completely obsessed! I've been playing for about 8 months and have 3 basses now, so that's just over 1 bass per 3 months... let's hope the acquisition rate slows down now or I'll go broke :) But, that'll be AFTER i've hunted down a nice fender aerodyne! Ok, back to practice!

• Like 3

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

There is very simple advice to follow as a beginner bassist.

Keep the beat and don't buy another bass  until you can play the one you have.

Not sure how many people obey it, but it's still good advice.😉

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 1

Hah, this is very good advice in all hobbies in general, and indeed I doubt many follow it 😅

One thing that I know about myself though is that if I have a thing that I realllly like, I just end up using it more. I have an Italian motorcycle - the performance to price ratio is questionable (even if I'll never ride it to its limits), but damn is it a thing of beauty - when I enter the garage I feel positively emotional. Call me shallow ;) Back to the basses: the ones I have are a necessity (they're what was available locally at the cheapest price point when I needed one, and due to moving countries a few times it was actually just cheaper to buy more), and I like them, but... you know ;) Life is hard, eh?

Ah well, you're excused. If you had already bought two Sadowski's and an Overwater then that would be different 😁 

I do know what you mean about spending more time with things you like though.  The bass I first bought was a Brawley Artemis, but for some reason I knew I would want the 5 string version. When one came up here I had to buy it, even though I wasn't really good enough to buy another.  The 4 string is a lovely instrument but  hasn't been played since.  And I in September I may have swapped a Ford S-Max for a 2006 Jaguar XK 4.2l mid-life-crisis. Like your bike, I could never take it even close to the limits, but I think it is a really beautiful piece of design and engineering. 

I’ve  been to Dublin 

it was very nice - liked the baggot particularly 

a friend of mine from Tralee called it “a fecking dive” but I was totally blissed out listening to traditional music with a pint in what was then called Fitzsimmons

• Like 1