Why become a member? ×

Looking for neutral sounding head

Guest BassAdder27

Most amps with an fx loop will let you plug into the fx return cutting out the onboard preamp altogether.

SCR > Power Amp > speaker.

The Quilter Bass amp was developed via Talkbass forum initially as a power block to take pedals but as it proceeded it became clear it would sell better with a few extra preamp features. Knobs at noon is supposed to be entirely neutral.

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Markbass are quite neutral sounding, and take pedals nicely

Markbass ironically some of the few that don't run serial fx loop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

So the LM3 second hand perhaps ? 

or the new LM4 perhaps ?

I used to have an LM3 and it seemed to work really well with a Sansamp, although they’re a warm sounding amp I find them to be pretty flat & neutral sounding. I’m not really up to speed re using fx loops as per@Downunderwonders post, maybe worth trying on the Ashdown before moving it on?

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I used to have an LM3 and it seemed to work really well with a Sansamp, although they’re a warm sounding amp I find them to be pretty flat & neutral sounding. I’m not really up to speed re using fx loops as per@Downunderwonders post, maybe worth trying on the Ashdown before moving it on?

Tried it today, you have to have an input connected too or the amp auto mutes. Using the Line In didn’t seem that loud compared to the normal input. 
My Orange Little Bass Thing head works really well with the Ampeg SCR-DI so that got me thinking of an amp in a similar neutral style 

7 hours ago, Merton said:

If the OBT works well why not just use that? Sensible/boring/money saving… 🤓

That’s true but I like to l have two amps and like them to be similar in sound if possible without buying the same amp twice !

Edited by BassAdder27