Why become a member? ×

What defines a bass guitar?

Joe Nation

15 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I read something online from a guitarist who said he will respect bassists when he meets one who can play barre chords. I guess 95% of bassists can play them but why would you use them on a bass?

Ha ha presumably that guitarist thinks playing barre chords on a guitar is a difficult thing then? Spoiler alert - they aren’t. 

Edited by bassbiscuits

9 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Ha ha presumably that guitarist thinks playing barre chords on a guitar is a difficult thing then? Spoiler alert - they aren’t. 

I rarely play guitar and I'm not good at all. Any idiot (including me) can play barre chords.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I rarely play guitar and I'm not good at all. Any idiot (including me) can play barre chords.

Yup, I can mash out a few barre chords too. Perfect for getting the basic jist of a song (or all of the Ramones back catalogue).

2 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Thus proving you are truly an awesome bassist. 

Yes, I'm amazing at playing bass because I can do something that isn't a part of playing bass.

I'm also an amazing lover because I can change the oil in a car.

• Haha 2

A bass guitar - my take

• It has to be based on a 'guitar' design rather than double bass etc.
  • It has to be designed with with general intention of playing lower register  than the guitar.
  • If a player takes it mainly into higher registers then fair enough, but the instrument itself  remains a bass guitar.

23 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Oh, and IMO the OP is not overthinking it, discussion is the reason we come to a discussion (or 'chat' as the site name styles it) forum.

I'm looking forward to more bass-centric philosophical discussion points from the OP.

Absolutely! I do wonder sometimes what people are doing here when they post 'who cares' type replies when, as you adroitly put it, this is a discussion forum.

Another 2 pennies worth from me on the OP... I would say 41hz E and a scale shorter than 41".

13 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Oh, and IMO the OP is not overthinking it, discussion is the reason we come to a discussion (or 'chat' as the site name styles it) forum.

I'm looking forward to more bass-centric philosophical discussion points from the OP.

Oh no, I'm completely overthinking it, like I do pretty much everything (unless it's actually important!). Of course, the answer is all of the above points and more. But the point of the discussion is to get people thinking about what their instrument is, what it can do (and can't do), and what they want to get out of it.

• Like 1