Why become a member? ×

How To Play And Use The Blues Scale

greghagger

Whenever I transcribe and analyse an iconic bass line, I look for common patterns that might be there, and there's one particular scale that I see being utilised time and time again.

This scale is the Blues scale.

There are in fact two Blues scales and knowing both of them gives you many options for creating your own bass lines, riffs and fills.

Find out more in my latest Greg's Bass Shed video lesson. Click the link at the bottom of this email to view the lesson.

The lesson PDF contains the scales and fret diagrams from the lesson so be sure to pick that up from the video description. 

Have fun with this one. 

https://youtu.be/YGB1AjtYa-Q

• Like 2

Many years ago I learned the descending opening bass line from Princess of the Streets by the Stranglers. It was several years later when I understood what a blues scale was and only then did I realise what the origin of that bass line was. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Velarian said:

Many years ago I learned the descending opening bass line from Princess of the Streets by the Stranglers. It was several years later when I understood what a blues scale was and only then did I realise what the origin of that bass line was. 

That’s a great example of a a descending Blues scale @Velarian

I’ll be using that as an example in future lessons!

cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

How do I get the pdf ? Couldn’t see an actual link 

Hi @geek99 it’s in the description under the YouTube video. You have to view the video in YouTube rather than the embedded version. I think you click the YouTube icon in the video. 

let me know if you have any problems and I’ll send it to you. 

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I haven’t - it’s demanding that I register but I think I already have 

Yes, you have to register to get the PDF. It’s very quick! If you don’t input an email address then there is nowhere to send the PDF to. 

Let me know if you are still having trouble and I’ll look into it for you. 

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, petecarlton said:

Thank you for the video and the booklet Greg @greghagger.  Looking forward to working on it.  Is there any way to donate?

Glad you liked it @petecarlton

That’s very kind of you. if you wish to donate, I am part of the ‘Buy Me A Coffee’ scheme. 

https://www.gbshed.com/buy-me-a-coffee-gregs-bass-shed

Cheers

• Like 1