Why become a member? ×

Squier 40th Anniversary Precision Bass - thoughts

cetera

On 02/08/2023 at 18:33, Parkie said:

Unsure how old this thread is or if I am too late. But anyway!

I was in a shop for something else & have never had any sort of hankering for a Fender, but whilst I was there I played a P Bass to scratch an annoying itch to see what the fuss was about & to my surprise I quite liked it.  There were a few other P & J basses on the wall & there was a red one that caught my eye, I asked the guy if I could play that and found it really nice, I actually thought the neck felt nicer & liked the matt finish, sound wise couldn't tell any difference to the other one, maybe had a touch more at either end of the tone range.  All things being equal I would of taken the red one.

The weird thing is I didn't even know that it was a Squier at first, I just liked the look of it, I actually asked to play the other one 1st (I didn't know the price of either) as I thought the red one was a more expensive version.

So when I found out / realised it was a Squier (I didn't even look I just played it as I wasn't particularly interested in Fenders) and it was £400 I was blown away when comparing to the Fender which I was told was £1700.  BTW even if I hadn't tried the Squier in no way would I spend any where near £1700 on the Fender, to me it just didn't warrant it, couldn't work out what you'd be paying for.

The guy in the shop was a P bass player for years & I got him to play both and to me they sounded so similar there was really nothing in it, he was a very good player & made both sound great.  He reckoned Squier has really upped its standards with this bass and unless you 'had' to have a Fender why not get one of these, he also thought the Fender was marginally better but in no way anyway near £1300 better.  However his view was that if he had the money he would probably get the / a Fender as he was one of those 'have to have a Fender' guys but probably a £1200ish one, but also admitted that he may have unconscious bias towards Fender.

I was lucky I suppose to not have any bias and so could make a subjective decision, I actually preferred the red one & when factoring in the price difference, no brainer.  A week later I traded my Sterling Sub 4 & I bought the Squier, I had absolutely no intention of buying when I 1st went in.

Its now even made me consider selling my Warwick (which I never thought I would) and getting an affordable range 5 string bass and a 4 string fretless (and probably have change) as clearly the quality in this section of the market is much better than it used to be.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth, cheers.

Selling your Warwick? Wash your mouth out Sir! 

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chaddy said:

£259 at Thomann "Squier 40th Anniv Jazz Bass SFG"

yes, I know about these promotions, I just bought a vintage blonde pretzel and I'm waiting for the delivery of a vintage Stratocaster 40th in surfer blue. When it reaches me, my next order will be the jazz you mentioned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaddy said:

I'm just gona as well :D . Need new tuners for the musicman but instead lets just buy another bass 

More often than not tuners can easily be cleaned and lubed , unless you’re looking for lightweight tuners the ones you have might well be fine.

21 hours ago, msb said:

More often than not tuners can easily be cleaned and lubed , unless you’re looking for lightweight tuners the ones you have might well be fine.

The screw fitting slips when the tuners go under tension ( x2 ) and will ping the string back as if going down a tone.  The E and G have issues. 

On 18/08/2023 at 08:58, Chaddy said:

Selling your Warwick? Wash your mouth out Sir! 

Ha Yeah, I know what you mean, just got it back from a set up & plays lovely, but I just sold it.  It was a corvette $$.

May buy a thumb 5 str, always wanted one.

But am still enjoying the Squier P bass very much.

Just seen the above post £259, that is an amazing bargain

• Sad 1

My jazz arrived on Friday but I was away from home so I've only managed to spend fifteen minutes with it this evening. 

First impression - it's gorgeous, although the tint on the neck is a little bit on the donald trump side. The satin finish is lovely and the neck feels great. Electronics all work fine, although the balance across the strings needs sorting out, the pickup heights are obviously not quite right. I'm probably going to change the pickups to some dimarzios but I could easily work with what's in here. 

There's also an annoying sympathetic resonance when I play the third fret of the D string, i think this is just the E string resonating thanks to a peculiarity of the setup and it will go away when I set the relief, action, and strings to my liking but it did have me worried for a minute! 

You should always take first impressions with a pinch of salt but £259 brand new seems like a ridiculous deal to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1