Why become a member? ×

Effects loop pedal?

wayneyboy

I saw a solo guitarist using a pedal that was like an effects loop pedal so what he would do is play a sequence ,hit the pedal, and it just copied what he was playing until he hit the pedal again. This enabled him to embelish over the top of the riff that he played. In the end sounded really good and full. I was wondering if they done one for bass- thought be good effect to have. Wonder if any fellow members use one or know bit more about it than myself the novice?

I have a Boss RC-20XL which is realllly damn good.

And someone i know has the one pedal version which they say is also really good.

Only problem is that the RC-20 price keeps jumping up so i wouldn't wait for the price to drop...it wont. (mine took several months to arrive due to a stock failure on behalf of Dolphin music and in that time the price rose, literally, about 70 quid).

Someone might have one second hand, someone on here was selling one ridiculously cheaply a while back.

Hope this helps.

The RC-20 does have some built in drum patterns but they aren't astoundingly good.
They keep rhythm well, as it has a built in...something. I dunno what they called it but quite simply, it keeps time without you having to input what timing you're playing in.

But there are very few types of drum rhythm for it to play.
I think the smaller Boss loop station might have more drum rhythms, i think i read that somewhere...

The Akai Headrush gets my vote. I've used a few loopers and currently have a Boss DD-20 and Akai Headrush on my pedal board. The DD-20 is far more delay orientated but I've always liked the looper function, it's very simple, all you can do with it is record and overdub (as many times as you want). You can't save any loops into it and there's no stop/start function after a loop has been recorded. I mainly use this pedal for its' delay functions though.

The Akai Headrush is a more versatile looper and it also sounds a little more organic to my ears. You can also stop and start loops with the Headrush.

i use a DL4 - the delay feature's good to loop a short sound and use that as a click. i then make drums with the bass (and effects) then loop chords and melody. The half-time and reverse features are cool too for a more glitchy sound.

i used to gig solo bass with the looper, a fretted yamaha, an ns eub and a lot of effects and synths. awesome!

Dan

im liking the sound of the headrush- one click to record and one to play- not worried about the drums really and will be using it live and have a drummer so just really for playing a few riffs and solo's over the top-
i think the boss one you have to double click it and quite quicly otherwise it keeps looping so maybe the headrush might be better for what i want-

thanks folks

yeah i have a headrush that i use for my acoustic guitar. its a very cool pedal, east to use and the delay is good on it too.

although i do kinda want to do some reverse things that i have been working out, which the headrush cant do... so i would actually like to swap it for the line 6.

With the DL4 you press pedal A to start recording, then pedal A again if you want to set the loop end and carry on recording, or pedal B if you want to set the loop end and not record. The only time you have to double-tap is to put the pedal in reverse (double tap pedal D).

All thats left is pedal C, which is 'play once'. This aallows you to end a song at the end of a loop automatically, rather than hitting a pedal in time and not being able to concentrate on your playing at the end.

I enjoy the DL4 but don't get me wrong, the reliability is SH!TE. The delays are LUSH though!!

Dan

I have the digitech JamMan. It's excellent live & can even link up to your computer as a multi-track recording device. You can also loop vocals with the microphone plugin.

I did a looped solo at a Christmas gig with mine & seeing the anticipation on the audience's faces as I added more notes to a sequence was real fun!