Why become a member? ×

Cnc machine build

Jimothey

I don't know if this will be of any interest to anyone....

After watching a fella on YouTube make his own cnc machine, Me and my dad have decided to build one which is going to have a 700mm x 700mm useable cutting area we we're going to try and go a bit bigger but there is lack of space in the workshop but I've worked out I will be able to do a bass neck on it going diagonally from corner to corner we've worked out the parts will come to just over £400

I'll be using it for guitars and possible signs and stuff and my dad will be using it for his model railway stuff 

With that in mind I've started trying to design some 3d models that I can convert to gcode and cut on the cnc, I haven't got the money to buy a copy of rhino or fusion 360 so I've started doing the 2d svg designs in Inkscape and 3d modelling in freecad which is still a steep learning curve! but to make life easier someone has designed a dedicated workbench for building guitars its called Mars Guitar Designs and as long as you label the parts on the 2d drawing body and headstock eg. contour, midline and pickups/control cavity etc correctly you can easily do design like this...... 

_20220206_150349.JPG.0133a45172023ac7b58d8c33d277c835.JPG

(This was just a bit of messing around doing a Meteora style bass) And once its like that you can adjust the parameters of the neck eg. Scale length, heel and nut dimensions, amount of frets etc

I'm still learning so I'm still trying to figure out a few things like how to add arm and belly carves and how to radius the top edge.........👍🏻 

We are ordering all the parts this coming week so I'll post updated pics as we go along..... 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 5