Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino's back-up Stingray

NikNik

20 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I did speak to the owner of this bass as he was on here and he did offer it to me when I was looking for a Fretless Stingray but alas my funds did not stretch that far. Its a gorgeous bass.

I have a rough idea who that man could be.

14 hours ago, wintoid said:

My memory from the 1980s was that Pino favoured Stingray fretlesses with carbon graphite necks.  Just wondering if that memory is to be trusted...

If I remember correctly, the Stingray with a graphite neck was loaned to Pino while his number one Stingray ( 1979 factory fretless purchased in NYC) was being repaired/serviced. (Probably having some attention to the fingerboard- Rotosound Swing Bass+  untreated fretless board = , knackered).

Pino has sold loads of basses in The Gallery over the years. I think he has got a house in the area. I know he is a regular in the shop.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/01/2022 at 16:23, pierreganseman said:

gallery sold it twice 

each time for outrageous amounts (compared to normal stingray PEB) in about 7 seconds lol 

First time it sold in 2012, there were a number of his basses in the shop.

I remember there being a Wal, an Ibanez I think, and a few others.

It was priced at £2900, which was about £1000 or so over the going rate. Pino had owned it for about 20 years and it had been used only when his main bass was in for work, he couldn’t give any detail of particular gigs or sessions. 
When it next sold about 2 years or so ago, the gallery recommended asking £5000, based on their educated guess of what the market might bear. It didn’t sell for a couple of months, then they received an offer of £4250 which seems reasonable, maybe £1500 over the going rate. 
It is a very clean and original example, and plays as you would expect.

I keep an eye on the gallery website, I’m pretty sure this is the only Pino Stingray they have had for sale.

• Like 2