Why become a member? ×

Studio recording with Ampeg PF-20T/ 50T

Gully35

Hello just after some advice. Was looking at the two ampeg tube amps primarily to achieve a good recording sound in the studio.

Does the PF-20T cut it? Or is it worth shelling out the extra £300 for the PF-50T? 

I've read some reviews which state the PF50T isn't loud enough anyway to gig so was wondering is it worth the additional cost for the pad and few extra dials?

Thanks.

Normally the cab is mic'd and a DI out from past experience.

I know there is a trans DI out on the ampegs which apparently is a good job. The £300 is a big difference. I could use the PF20 for home practice also which I guess would sound nice. You always get drawn to the bigger option though!

Even if you take your rig in and get the engineer to mic one or more of the speakers up, they'll also take a DI from the head and another direct from the bass. When it comes to getting the bass sound, a good engineer will use what they could hear in the live room as a reference; but you have no way of knowing how the final bass sound in the mix was created and could just as easily be the direct DI from the bass with plug-ins on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gully35 said:

Normally the cab is mic'd and a DI out from past experience.

I know there is a trans DI out on the ampegs which apparently is a good job. The £300 is a big difference. I could use the PF20 for home practice also which I guess would sound nice. You always get drawn to the bigger option though!

In that case I wouldn't bother at all (unless you just want to have the amp because it's fun!)

Go direct - use one of the many Ampeg plugins and tweak as much as you like after you've recorded the part already.

I have a PF20T and the 112HLF cab for studio use (I run a studio and I'm a recording engineer)

It's nice, and the fact that it acts as a standalone (albeit bulky!) DI/preamp without a cab attached is a very nice feature. It's not very loud, but I didn't expect it to be - if I want to gig it it I can connect one of the XLR outs to a powered cab (another advantage of being able to run the amp without a speaker load), though I usually use IEMs when possible.

I did consider the 50, but I read somwhere that the 20 was apparently a bit closer to a B15. Who knows.

It makes a very neat pair with the cab, so if you want something for studio recording and a good amp just for playing through then it's a very nice (but expensive, and simple) option.

As others have said though, mic'ing a cab is not always done, and even if done, not always used. I have a bit of a love/hate thing with mic'ing bass amps, but the little 112HLF does what I want a cab to do nicely (I prefer it to the SVT-212AV at the studio.)

We have an Ampeg V4B at the studio as well. I haven't tested them side by side much, but for me it doesn't offer much over the PF20 apart from the obvious (Ultra Lo/Hi and selectable mid frequencies), but is obviously much more giggable. I'll have to do test soon!

Both the 20T and 50T are reported to record well in a studio.  The PF-50T offers more tonal variation and more headroom. With a PF-20T, you can compensate for that with DAW plugins. Both have the same basic James tone circuit for bass and treble. When I play through an amp, I look for it to inspire me while I’m playing. I like the sound to be there at that point. So for me, the tone out of the speaker is important.

The speaker cabinet is important. Both the Ampeg 12 and 15 cabs are good products, it comes down to personal taste. It helps to raise the cabinet close to ear level for better monitoring.  How you mic the cabinet is also important, close or a few feet away. If close, where on the speaker should the mic be placed. Which mic to use. A lot to work out to optimize your sound. Some helpful information here: https://www.talkbass.com/wiki/tips-tricks-and-modifications/#23-miking-a-cabinet

Others have mentioned mixing a DI with a mic’ed cab. When doing this it’s important to ensure that the two tracks are time aligned to avoid cancellation of parts of the signals. This isn’t a big deal to do in the DAW. DI has advantages in that it can compensate for low frequency roll-off that. mic may have. Not all mics used to capture bass have roll-off issues. A mic’ed cab sound with some air between the speaker and the mic also has its advantages. There are always pros and cons to consider and there is no right or wrong answer.

Bottom line, get the amp that you can best afford and make the most of it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, thewebow said:

How much to get a noble Di imported these days and what is the wait time on that!!?

$1264 inc shipping to UK = about £1036 as of this morning's exchange rate.

+ import on the item + vat on the item AND on the shipping + handling charge = roughly £1300 to your door.

EDIT - waiting list is 35 weeks.

There's an urgent build option for 6 weeks for an extra $580 / £472

and VAT will apply to that as well - about £566 on top.

Edited by fretmeister