Why become a member? ×

Status basses.

Cmh

Hi all. I'm new on here, inexperienced with guitars (although I've had a Japanese J bass 42 yrs since I was 8!) & wanna ask about Status basses. Did the 90s Energy come with a wooden neck only aswell as a carbon rod reinforced neck??

The Energy was available both with a wooden headed neck with graphite rods and with a full carbon headed or headless neck. There's also an Energy Artist with fancy top woods. They came in three different shapes, depending on the year (but don't ask me when they changed them):

The "classic" S2 shape 

original.thumb.jpg.e387488245bb9ae6219452c8fbf02170.jpg

A slightly curvier shape with longer upper horn (the S1 shape) 

NmY0M2U3ODk1OThjZWYwYzRhYjRiZmQxMDE3NTM2YjNHmoIi0-fMnWELF5PcUsU5aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZWI4-HA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg.b7f347d819de8ebf5800a1207f148d13.jpg

And finally a more rounded shape, up to the mid 2000's

1867109576_Status-Graphite-Energy-Bass-Guitar-excellent-conditionGraphite-PRICE.jpg.de2008d7ef21a5ed59818c61f0914172.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

The original Energys were as per the first two pictures above. I’ve had a couple. They had walnut bodies, graphite necks and passive electronics. They came in headed and headless, 4 and 5 string. I had 3, 1 x 4 and 2 x5s.  Later on they were replaced by wooden necked versions, I can’t remember the exact spec of those, but the third pic looks right. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Captain Bassman said:

Here’s my Series 2 for comparison. It’s a 30th Anniversary model so has some fancy inlays on the back which were a feature of the very first Strata basses that Rob Green made but otherwise the body construction is the same as the original Series 2 and very similar to the Empathy.

You can clearly see the ‘cricket bat’ through neck and the more ‘simple’ 4 knob control layout (volume, pan, bass cut/boost, treble cut/boost) per the original Series 2’s active electronics.

Pick ups on the later Empathy basses were different too I think. The ones on this Empathy look more like Status’ later Hyperactive pick ups to me.

I think (but don’t quote me!) that the Empathy has a variable mid sweep like the current Series 2 and Series 3 models, hence the 3 tone knobs.

EC1525F1-72F0-448D-A8BF-19A0F00A241A.jpeg

61D620A9-869A-45B9-9069-7C2225EC340D.jpeg

Thanks for your thoughts, man! I really appreciate it! 

Wow, just a beautiful and very special bass you have here! Funny enough, (what a conincidence!!!), just a one like yours was sold at the auction on the Swiss website a week or two ago for cca 5500 EUR (Yes, that's right😳!). Quite a price, right? But it certainly proves, a good Status example knows no limits...Normally i see Status basses up to cca 2500 Eur range. 

Just wanted to share that with you. 

And to prove - below a pic of it. 

Amazing boutique looks if this particular example...

Edited by johnny1982

1 hour ago, Captain Bassman said:

The Empathy was top of the range at its time, so above the Series 2 but shares some commonality with the current Series 2 model, i.e. the shallow through neck.

I think Status made them up until 1999/2000 so it could be a little younger which might explain the lovely condition of this one.

String spacing should be 18mm (or 18.5mm) at the bridge, I’m not sure which. 

They don’t come up for sale too often and if I had the opportunity I’d snatch it up!

Will definately check the bass out. Especially the string spacing and will decide if buying it. 

One more thing. 
Do these things have truss rod?

If not - Is it a big deal and is the neck stable?

(have owned a Zon and Schack without truss rod and was actually fine, although the Zon did curve, depending on the string gauge you put on)

From the material point of view the carbon neck does not need a truss rod. I have two Vigier Passions, have owned an MG Quantum SPi 5 (and currently own an MG Genesis 5), and a Status MM neck. No need to adjust. These are all super stable.

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

How come opinions of price are all over the Yammy BB thread when someone posts a link to one on sale on a different platform? I see no difference here.

Taking down the Empathy post and pictures kinda makes this whole conversation worthless.

Why not just edit out that particular part of the post instead if it’s against rules??

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Bassman said:

How come opinions of price are all over the Yammy BB thread when someone posts a link to one on sale on a different platform? I see no difference here.

Taking down the Empathy post and pictures kinda makes this whole conversation worthless.

Why not just edit out that particular part of the post instead if it’s against rules??

Moderators may be superhuman but we aren't omnipresent....if someone reports specific posts on the BB thread then it will be looked at.

This thread is still open so that 'non-price' points can be discussed - pictures can always be reposted if the pricing request is omitted....

Edited by martthebass