Why become a member? ×

Cleaning query

vmaxblues

I have acquired a 79 Precision which looks like it hasnt been cleaned in 30 years, I have decided to leave everything as standard, but to clean it. I used to have a 70's P many moons ago and had i kept it I would have kept it clean and polished.

I have stripped and cleaned the machine heads, same for the bridge, and have cleaned and polished the neck.

I have used decent wax cleaner on the body and it looks loads better, but it is still partially grimy, and I am cautious on what to carry on cleaning it with, any suggestions?

Cheers

Stuart

This is the stuff you want - [url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0990512000"]Fender Color Restorer[/url]
I've had great results with it...perfect for restoring the finish on vintage guitars.

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='456441' date='Apr 7 2009, 02:24 PM']This is the stuff you want - [url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0990512000"]Fender Color Restorer[/url]
I've had great results with it...perfect for restoring the finish on vintage guitars.[/quote]

+1 - did the trick for me on an old Hofner.

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='457978' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:47 PM']I hear you, but although it is a bit of an investment I also want to gig it, it has sufficient mojo and I don't believe on having instruments and not using them.

But that's just me.[/quote]

I've used this on my very precious pre-CBS vintage Fenders - it just helps to bring the colour & finish 'back to life' in a very subtle way... IMHO It can only enhance their value - keeping a dirty/grimy finish has nothing to do with preserving the value/originality of a vintage instrument.

Remember, the toothbrush is your friend. Gets in places that are otherwise unreachable. Great for cleaning around the sides of frets, cavity covers, screw heads, bridges and other places where grime and bits of polish may have gathered.