Why become a member? ×

Recording - what do people use ?

fryer

Hi

I use a zoom h2 handy recorder which is perfect for recording how the band sounds to a pair of ears- however I have just bought a Roland vs 1680 which is a digital recorder/ mixer plus effects- this will record 8 tracks simultaneous- with over 16 tracks in total- got it from ebay fro £190- bargain- takes a bit of learning ( and I had a profession recording studio in the 80s! ) but digital is better than analogue any day - unless you are a luddite!!

Have recorded a few of our gigs and can master/ add effects/ tweak sounds later in the comfort of my own home- making a cd for the band and because time is not of the essence ( or you are paying by the hour ) the results are professional enough to sell.

#cheers

bob

[quote name='Twigman' post='481762' date='May 7 2009, 11:31 AM']PC with RME HDSP9632 soundcard with the I/O extension boards
Alesis 3630 compressor for vocal compression prior to recording
Cakewalk Sonar 7 producer edition

I record at 16bit 44100kHz to keep file sizes down and I hear little difference at the end of the day from 24bit.

16/44.1 gives less headroom when mixing than say 24/96 but uses a lot fewer CPU cycles which means I can keep my buffers smaller.[/quote]

Hey Twigman

Do you hang around the Sonar Forum Much?

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Twigman' post='481762' date='May 7 2009, 11:31 AM']I record at 16bit 44100kHz to keep file sizes down and I hear little difference at the end of the day from 24bit.

16/44.1 gives less headroom when mixing than say 24/96 but uses a lot fewer CPU cycles which means I can keep my buffers smaller.[/quote]

no less headroom, just a higher noise floor. listen carefully and the effects of mixing at 16 bit, ie cumulative dither and truncation noise, come through.

in this sort of environment it probably makes little difference though.