Why become a member? ×

SOLD

playbass

I bought this in October/November last year to see how I got on with a six stringed bass; it was my first bass with more than four strings. Luckily it seems to have a good low action and I've found it very smooth and even to play. Its been a great learning experience... I've learnt I only really need five of the six strings. So this beast is up for sale, while I keep an eye out for a five stringer.

Specification:
Ash body
3 piece maple/flame maple neck (I think)
24 frets
35" scale
Twin truss rods
9V active pre-amp
Bass, mid, treble boost/cut pots
Pickup plend pot
Volume pot

[attachment=23413:body_to_head.jpg]
What looks like a 1cm scratch on the left of this photo is just a reflection.

[attachment=23414:body.jpg]

[attachment=23415:DSCF3700.jpg]

[attachment=23416:back.jpg]

[attachment=23417:chips.jpg]

[attachment=23418:DSCF3703.jpg]

[attachment=23486:head.jpg]
The gold plating isn't as new

[attachment=23776:machinehead.JPG]

[attachment=23485:case.jpg]
Yamaha hard case included.

I'd prefer collection (for the bass' safety) but I'm willing to post at buyer's expense.

The majority of the bass looks great, as you can see, but there are a couple of dings/chips. If you'd like to see more photos then let me know and I'll post them up or email them straight to you.

[b]Price: £450 or make me an offer![/b]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31215&hl=playbass"][b]MY FEEDBACK[/b][/url]

Edited by playbass

[quote name='dlugibass' post='455908' date='Apr 6 2009, 10:07 PM']Where was made?? Japan or Korea??[/quote]

Sorry, I should have been clearer with the model. Is it the newer TRB1006 basses that are Korean? Anyway, the back of the headstock says it was [b]built in Japan[/b]. I've just been looking at Yamaha series numbers and I think I've decoded this one to reveal that the bass was made in [b]May 1998[/b]. I'm pretty sure OutToPlayJazz has one of these basses, so I'm sure he could probably give you an unbiased opinion on them.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='456024' date='Apr 7 2009, 02:22 AM']wow... the neck on that thing...

good luck with the sale![/quote]

Thanks, I think the string spacing is 18mm at the bridge and the nut is 50mm wide. Some people like these dimensions so they don't get confused when changing from a 4 string bass.

I played one of these a while back. It was in a shop and was secondhand...the salesman put the case on display, flipped the catches and said, 'Are you man enough for one of these?' with a similar amount of gusto to that of say a circus ringmaster announcing the arrival of a trapeze artist.

Gotta say I was smitten. It was very, very nice...it was comfortable, the neck was fast and had a lovely profile.

Quick question here too. Do you/would you tune these BEADGB or BEADGC?

Good luck with the sale.
P

[quote name='playbass' post='456090' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:33 AM']Sorry, I should have been clearer with the model. Is it the newer TRB1006 basses that are Korean? Anyway, the back of the headstock says it was [b]built in Japan[/b]. I've just been looking at Yamaha series numbers and I think I've decoded this one to reveal that the bass was made in [b]May 1998[/b]. I'm pretty sure OutToPlayJazz has one of these basses, so I'm sure he could probably give you an unbiased opinion on them.[/quote]

By all means :) These bolt-on Japanese TRB II's are stunning value for the prices they go at these days. I picked up mine a couple of years ago for the same price as playbass' instrument. For playability, there's nothing to touch these in the six string arena at the price. You can have everything from a Status-like hifi tone to deep dub bass sounds as well. Soloing on the top end is quite pleasurable, too. Making the transition from 4 or 5 to one of these is pretty easy due to the wide string spacing (as mentioned earlier in this thread.) Build quality is second to none & the ash body means the weight isn't too bad, either. These TRB's also feature twin trussrods, so there's never any movement in the neck whatsoever.

Standard tuning is B E A D G C - Fourths across the board.

I've been searching for a 'better' 6-string for the last year or so & I still haven't found anything to touch this bass and that includes a top of the range neck through headed Status S2 6er! I'm just on the verge of ordering an ACG Recurve Single-Cut 6...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='456107' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:53 AM']I've been searching for a 'better' 6-string for the last year or so & I still haven't found anything to touch this bass and that includes a top of the range neck through headed Status S2 6er! I'm just on the verge of ordering an ACG Recurve Single-Cut 6...[/quote]

That's one of the very few basses I've been interested in, but with 5 strings. What's the price range for an ACG recurve single cut. Their website doesn't show any £numbers. Also I believe you live in the same area of the country as me; are you planning on travelling up to Scotland to try the basses out and place your order or is are you ordering over the phone. The closest bass builder I have found is Shuker I think, but I really do like the look of ACG! Thanks.

[quote name='playbass' post='456094' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:37 AM']Thanks, I think the string spacing is 18mm at the bridge and the nut is 50mm wide. Some people like these dimensions so they don't get confused when changing from a 4 string bass.[/quote]
I meant the flame maple on the neck... lovely!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='456107' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:53 AM']By all means :) These bolt-on Japanese TRB II's are stunning value for the prices they go at these days. I picked up mine a couple of years ago for the same price as playbass' instrument. For playability, there's nothing to touch these in the six string arena at the price. You can have everything from a Status-like hifi tone to deep dub bass sounds as well. Soloing on the top end is quite pleasurable, too. Making the transition from 4 or 5 to one of these is pretty easy due to the wide string spacing (as mentioned earlier in this thread.) Build quality is second to none & the ash body means the weight isn't too bad, either. These TRB's also feature twin trussrods, so there's never any movement in the neck whatsoever.

Standard tuning is B E A D G C - Fourths across the board.

I've been searching for a 'better' 6-string for the last year or so & I still haven't found anything to touch this bass and that includes a top of the range neck through headed Status S2 6er! I'm just on the verge of ordering an ACG Recurve Single-Cut 6...[/quote]
I agree with everything `out to play jazz` says.Having both TRB6p and TRB5p I`m a big fan.

There`s a whole lot of bass for your money with the one being offered.Strangely, they have not become popular for some reason,but they wipe the floor with other flavour of the month basses.Quality for not a great deal of money!!

These are great basses, really nice. Have played a couple of them in the past but couldn't make my mind between the 5 and 6 string.
If I hadn't just swapped my 5 string Status Energy for a 6 string I would be knocking at your door anytime

good luck selling it.

[quote name='jhk' post='456756' date='Apr 7 2009, 07:56 PM']I agree with everything `out to play jazz` says.Having both TRB6p and TRB5p I`m a big fan.

There`s a whole lot of bass for your money with the one being offered.Strangely, they have not become popular for some reason,but they wipe the floor with other flavour of the month basses.Quality for not a great deal of money!![/quote]

Hi - would you be interested in trade + cash for MTD kingston 5 string. Curously its currently strung EADGC but I want something with the full 6 strings.

Great bass to play lightweight etc etc. but painted a rather fetching blue. Maple board very pretty.

[attachment=23520:003.JPG]

[quote name='haruki' post='458132' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:48 AM']Hi - would you be interested in trade + cash for MTD kingston 5 string. Curously its currently strung EADGC but I want something with the full 6 strings.

Great bass to play lightweight etc etc. but painted a rather fetching blue. Maple board very pretty.

[attachment=23520:003.JPG][/quote]

Hi, it's not really what I'm looking for pickup wise and aesthetically, but thanks (I do like the maple fretboard though).

Actually I've just had a great time playing the TRB6 this morning and I'm considering withdrawing it from sale. I probably would get on with a 5 string with a high C more, but I guess it's good to have the extra flexibility of the lower notes (just in case). I'll leave it up here to see if there's any more interest, but I'm not desperate to sell. Thanks for all of the interest/comments so far.

Edited by playbass

[size=7][b]Definitely for sale.[/b][/size]

I had a great time playing it last night but I don't need it for the type of gigs I do so I'll let it go (and I'll worry about regretting it latter).

Someone buy it before I change my mind.

Edited by playbass

[quote name='playbass' post='455823' date='Apr 6 2009, 07:41 PM']I bought this in October/November last year to see how I got on with a six stringed bass; it was my first bass with more than four strings. Luckily it seems to have a good low action and I've found it very smooth and even to play. Its been a great learning experience... I've learnt I only really need five of the six strings. So this beast is up for sale, while I keep an eye out for a five stringer.

Specification:
Ash body
3 piece maple/flame maple neck (I think)
24 frets
35" scale
Twin truss rods
9V active pre-amp
Bass, mid, treble boost/cut pots
Pickup plend pot
Volume pot

[attachment=23413:body_to_head.jpg]
What looks like a 1cm scratch on the left of this photo is just a reflection.

[attachment=23414:body.jpg]

[attachment=23415:DSCF3700.jpg]

[attachment=23416:back.jpg]

[attachment=23417:chips.jpg]

[attachment=23418:DSCF3703.jpg]

[attachment=23486:head.jpg]
The gold plating isn't as new (sorry it's a bit blury, will put up new photo if it's an issue)

[attachment=23485:case.jpg]
Yamaha hard case included.

I'd prefer collection (for the bass' safety) but I'm willing to post at buyer's expense.

The majority of the bass looks great, as you can see, but there are a couple of dings/chips. If you'd like to see more photos then let me know and I'll post them up or email them straight to you.

I'd probably prefer a sale but I'm on the look out for a 5 string fretted bass with 24 frets (or at least 22) which I'll be stringing E,A,D,G,C. Probably looking for 34" scale and I'd prefer to be able to see the wood (i.e. not painted).

[b]Price: £450 or make me an offer![/b]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=31215&hl=playbass"][b]MY FEEDBACK[/b][/url][/quote]

I can't believe this is still for sale. You seen the new price? Neck's a tad too wide for me or I would like a shot. Have a Bump.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' post='459870' date='Apr 11 2009, 11:51 AM']I can't believe this is still for sale. You seen the new price? Neck's a tad too wide for me or I would like a shot. Have a Bump.[/quote]

The string spacing is slightly narrower than my Fender Jazz so the neck makes sense (feel wise) when you play it. As for the price, I agree, it's a lot of bass per £. I don't know how much they were when brand new (someone else here will I'm sure) but the new versions are not the same, they're neck through and I'd guess they have a dirfferent version of electronics.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this still for sale? Also, what strings do you use on it? I have an RBX 6JM I am selling and because of the 35" scale length the strings I use (LaBella Supersteps) don't always extend beyond the nut. I was looking at a new Status S2 but these TRB's are really taking my fancy.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

Matt