Why become a member? ×

Long and Curlees

probonopublico

9 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Did you really say you swapped a Ricky 4001 for the Curlee?

Yes, I'd forgotten about that, the related 'swappers remorse' and pit of the stomach feeling when you suddenly remember it.  It was a 1973 with case and was a joy to play, I bought it second hand from a guy who was in an Eagles tribute band and wanted to be Randy Misner.  My first bass was a Hondo copy, Chris Squire was a bass deity then, I suppose he still is.  I lost one of the bridge saddles in 1977 and it took 3 months to get a replacement from Rickenbacker so in the meantime I bought a 73 Precision, put round wounds on it and became JJ Bunnel (can you see a pattern here).  When I got the replacement bridge I swapped it for the Curlee about two months after.  This is the one remaining picture of it from 1976.  Behind is a Carlsborough 1x18" which weighed a ton and was eventually replaced by a Peavey 2x15".  The picture was sent by the guy on the left who made his way to London, played sax with Joan Retailtrading and then saw sense and took up the bass.  He made his money writing for some name acts just before Napster destroyed composing fees.   

rick1.thumb.jpg.53053bc62029aef6c12219e5010eaf6f.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Twincam said:

Excellent story!

Out of curiosity. Was there any bowing of the neck, with it being stored all that time? Or did it still relatively have the right relief?

The neck was straight when I got it back  The truss rod may have been adjusted by the guy who put new strings on it and gave it a minor set up (also a retired music shop owner).  Luckily, the guitarist who had it all those years used to own a music shop in the 1970/80's so he knew how to take care of guitars.  In fact it was him I bought the P Bass from in 1977.  And the guy who set it up sold me the 73 Ricky.  Very incestuous in Hull, even the KitKats have 6 fingers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1