Why become a member? ×

Truss rod allen keys for BB424 / Squire P

Munurmunuh

I haven't an allen key for either my BB424 or my Squier P (it's a Matt Freeman sig, so basically a CIC CV)

The Squier TR is adjustable up beyond the nut. Apparently that's 5mm.

The BB is adjustable down by the neck pocket. I found an old TB post saying that the BB414 also needed a 5mm allen key.

I'm also unsure how long / short they need to be to reach their way to the truss rods.

Pretty sure your commonplace, pound shop allen keys should work (although if you have fancier ones with longer long ends you'll have more mechanical advantage when turning).

I have a set similar to this:

76000.jpg

As long as the short end of the allen key is in the ballpark of an inch long you should be fine.  Just make sure you don't get "stubby" allen keys - on those the short part is very short for getting into tight spaces and will not reach far enough in and the stubby part won't give you enough mechanical advantage if you try to use the long end and probably just end up hurting your hand/fingers.  Actually, come to think of it, the stubby might be perfect for the Yamaha if the nut is not too far inset into the heel of the neck, but a regular one should be able to fit into the recess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Just prodded around with a wooden  skewer. It went in just under 2cm for both basses. The BB only has that same space again for access down by the heel, so I'll need to be careful the short end is just the right length.

Sounds about right.  I'm pretty sure any commonly found non "stubby" allen key will work in both basses.  The curve on the outside edge of the allen key should be able to get you into the BB truss rod recess.  In a pinch you might be able to gain a mm or two by removing the plastic trim inside the truss rod access cutout - just a single screw in the bottom of it if memory serves.  Failing that - take the neck off like on old Fenders, pain in the butt then you can attack the truss rod with any hex tool you like with utter impunity ;)

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

MacGyver would have been proud!

I had to look up who that was 😁

MacGyver, a contemporary hero and role model, applies his scientific knowledge to ordinary items to create a means of escape for himself and others from impending doom.

There was a reboot in 2016, you bloody millenials ;)

His name is a verb!

In my last house we had one of those old fashioned skylights above the stairs and the glass broke in it.  I solved the problem with the lid of an ice cream tub and some silicone sealant I had lying around.

Now that's MacGyvering.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I had to look up who that was 😁

MacGyver, a contemporary hero and role model, applies his scientific knowledge to ordinary items to create a means of escape for himself and others from impending doom.

I had only ever heard of MacGyver via the Simpsons....Marge's sisters often used to watch or refer to it. I'd assumed it was a fictional show, like Itchy and Scratchy.

But seems it's real!

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

On my old BB the Allen key short end was too long to fit , so I just cut a bit off it with a hacksaw, it fitted perfect 

I have same situation... allen key too long. I tried googling around but the short arm ones are really pricy and might be too short.

I tried a hacksaw... but it did not even make  mark on the key. May have been a blunt blade... based on your comment I'll try again with a fresh blade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I tried a hacksaw... but it did not even make  mark on the key. May have been a blunt blade... based on your comment I'll try again with a fresh blade.

I fortunately used one of the vices in work to hold the key and it cut ok , the blade was fairly new 

• Thanks 1

On 13/12/2021 at 11:48, Ricky Rioli said:

Wielding an allen key is as far down this road as I'm prepared to go ;)

If you just need a tiny bit of extra room, the little plastic finishing trim for access cutout is only held in with a tiny crosshead screw. Whip out the screw, lift the trim out and you'll have a couple of mil extra wiggle room, and if you do mark the edges of the scratchplate then the trim will cover it. 

1 hour ago, Maude said:

If you just need a tiny bit of extra room, the little plastic finishing trim for access cutout is only held in with a tiny crosshead screw. Whip out the screw, lift the trim out and you'll have a couple of mil extra wiggle room, and if you do mark the edges of the scratchplate then the trim will cover it. 

Thanks for the tip, Captain Five-Days-Late ;)

• Haha 1