Why become a member? ×

Adventures in a very loud pub band..

theplumber

23 minutes ago, bassman7755 said:

But generally you arnt taking a direct feed from the main mixer to power your IEMs - there will some local preamp or mixer where you control the final volume. What I do is have a small mixer which I mix my local DI with a "rest of the band" signal from the FoH mixer, but even without that there will usually be some other volume control in the chain e.g the volume on the radio link if your going wireless.

That is not the industry standard of doing a monitor mix.

Generally, you ARE taking a direct feed from a mix bus on the mixer. That aux will then go into a headphone amplifier to drive your IEMs, whether that be a wired solution or a wireless solution.

There is a volume control on this - however, it's the change of level on the input that is of concern... whether that be changes of gains on the desk, or spikes caused by idiots shouting down mics or onset of feedback. To combat this, there are a number of options - brickwall limter on the desk that heavily compresses (eg 20:1) to limit the output, limiter on the headphone amp - very few have this and the implementations can be dubious (e.g. they can implement a proper brick wall limiter... or just limit the amount that the volume can be turned up on the device but won't actively compress any spikes that get sent through). The other option of course is go around and break the legs of anybody that dares misbehaves.

If you have a competent sound engineer, there's no real reason why the risk should be high... and certainly a lot smaller than prolonged exposure to loud bands. 

On 06/12/2021 at 19:02, Lozz196 said:

ACS earplugs I think are the answer. My classic rock band is incredibly loud due to matching the drummers volume, yet thanks to my ACS plugs the band volume is like a loud stereo, and I can hear each instrument individually. Before the ACS plugs I had a couple of different makes and they took the edge off, nothing more. Probably the wisest £120 I’ve ever spent on musical gear.

Which ACS earplugs did you go for Lozz? I've been looking on their website and I'm thinking about going for the PRO17's.

20 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Which ACS earplugs did you go for Lozz? I've been looking on their website and I'm thinking about going for the PRO17's.

I went for the PRO17s, the selling point for me was the most natural sound feature, I didn’t want any bias on specific frequencies and think that’s spot on with these. Other plugs I’ve had have reduced the top end to the point where I couldn’t pitch for backing vox but no problem with these.

12 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I went for the PRO17s, the selling point for me was the most natural sound feature, I didn’t want any bias on specific frequencies and think that’s spot on with these. Other plugs I’ve had have reduced the top end to the point where I couldn’t pitch for backing vox but no problem with these.

Great, that's what is attracting me to the PRO17's.