Why become a member? ×

Medium Scale Jazz Build..... a what now??

Bridgehouse

After recently suffering a heart attack, I'm finding myself at home a bit more whilst I recuperate. Mrs B is insisting I don't do too much, and making sure I have plenty of non-work rest time. 

Well, I thought another parts caster build might be a nice way to relax and spend some time occupying myself. 

The guy I usually buy necks and bodies from is retiring, so I thought I'd drop him a quick email to see if he had anything "nearly complete" in the workshop. He did have a few gems that could make an interesting project.. one of which is a 32" scale Jazz body and neck. Interesting I thought. It's also rear-routed for controls and it's a maple board too.. even more unusual. 

Well, I'm going to give it a go. I'm arranging the usual payment etc. and he needs to drill some headstock tuner holes for me, and then it'll be hopefully on it's way. Will be interesting to see what people think might be a good colour/finish choice, and what sort of kit to fit in it. I do have two spare Custom Shop 62 Jazz pickups going spare at the moment... 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Glad ya on the mend...

Sounds like a great idea... and a great idea...

Rear Route too... my favourite! And a nice home for those pickups, be daft not to.

Nice bit of wood there, Me? Natural in Danish Oil...

Ah now I do like a Danish Oil finish - however, the last one I did was DO… not sure I could do two in a row..

FDF85164-A469-46F2-8681-CDB910BA3386.jpeg

• Like 2

Well, the rather marvellous and wonderful @PaulThePlug had some spare knobs (fnarr!) and sent me a set free and gratis.

Despite the amateurish photography they are in fact cream. This leads me to think that cream pickup covers and knobs, along with black bridge/tuners and a multiple colour stain (maybe even a burst) might be a good idea. 

IMG_3688.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aw Shucks!... Ya Most Welcome...

I've had s sets of P covers from these peoples, in Cream (P) and White (P for my Jazz PJ)

I dropped em a line and there White J's are Vintage and 'Off-White' and not a Match to their White P, so i got a Hosco white cover for the Bridge J of the bay that fitted...

They do J covers in cream... £5.25 Pair Posted...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAZZ-BASS-PICKUP-COVERS-Matched-Pairs-or-Single-in-BLACK-WHITE-or-CREAM-/200986711794?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Gives a little softer and warmer appearance, esoecially on wood colours and a nice change from the black, 

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Aw Shucks!... Ya Most Welcome...

I've had s sets of P covers from these peoples, in Cream (P) and White (P for my Jazz PJ)

I dropped em a line and there White J's are Vintage and 'Off-White' and not a Match to their White P, so i got a Hosco white cover for the Bridge J of the bay that fitted...

They do J covers in cream... £5.25 Pair Posted...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAZZ-BASS-PICKUP-COVERS-Matched-Pairs-or-Single-in-BLACK-WHITE-or-CREAM-/200986711794?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Gives a little softer and warmer appearance, esoecially on wood colours and a nice change from the black, 

Their cream should match I reckon judging by that link. 

27 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Cream pickup covers ordered. Bass and Neck being shipped out today as well. 

Next job is colour scheme for the body and then work can commence!

I'd go with a medium stain to bring out the grain and highlight the cream adornments. Perhaps something like this...IMG_1937.thumb.jpeg.53d7a1c660f980e830c69badf9308d28.jpeg

See, I can be sensible. :on_the_quiet:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ezbass said:

I'd go with a medium stain to bring out the grain and highlight the cream adornments. Perhaps something like this...IMG_1937.thumb.jpeg.53d7a1c660f980e830c69badf9308d28.jpeg

See, I can be sensible. :on_the_quiet:

Looks lovely - and I do like a lovely natural bass (see above!) but I think I want to apply a colour stain this time - so similar to that, but with a colour (or two) to it..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Looks lovely - and I do like a lovely natural bass (see above!) but I think I want to apply a colour stain this time - so similar to that, but with a colour (or two) to it..

Purple, blue and green work well with cream (not at the same time).

Edited by ezbass

15 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Another bass? Another Jazz? 

Can’t be another Medium Scale as I’ve never had one before

Pfft.

I know what you are doing... siphoning off good honest peoples' TLRTs and recycling them into basses.

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I've been impressed by a sample set of Chestnut stain. About two bodies worth in each sample bottle.