Why become a member? ×

Sansamp Bass Driver DI Vs Behringer BDI21

KASH

if sound and reliability are what matters, and not price, then why not just get the original, instead of the cheap copy? :)

fwiw, i've had the programmable version of the original for over a year now, so far no issues -- i suppose it is an industry standard for a reason though.

never tried the behringer however, so couldn't comment. not too keen on some of their stuff....but some of it is ok.

(edit for spelling :rolleyes:)

Edited by escholl

I use the BDI21. It's ace. As for long term reliablity, don't know. I bought mine secondhand, had it for six months or so, used it for pretty much every rock/metalgig i've done and so far, so good!!! Happy :)

Edited by yorick

I have both and do different gigs with each.

The SABDDI sits on my pedalboard and warms up my tone on Electric Bass. The BDI21 is used as an 'always on' impendence matching/pre-amp/tone warming for my Double Bass. On this point, I tried a number of DB pre-amps, including the Fishman, but liked the 'warming' the BDI21 gives.

Tonally, they can do broadly the same things, although the settings are not the same to acheive it on both, if that makes sense. I have never had any problems with either, the DI from both is strong, although the BDI21 eats batteries faster and 'whines as the battery dies. Not a problem if you carry spares or plan ahead.

Construction-wise...one is made of plastic and the other is made of metal. My BDI21 goes nowhere near the floor, so this isn't a problem for me, but I would worry about it holding together under much foot stomping.

The Price/Quality issue is the main thing. The Behringer offers fantastic VFM, it is made from cheaper materials, AND it sounds fine. The SABDDI is more expensive by a factor of over 6:1, it is the industry standard, it is better built, AND it sounds fine. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Shaker

Had both. Sold the Sansamp & kept the BDI21, though I don't use it much these days as I've got a valve amp.
However, still keep it with me in the bag for gigs in case I have to for any reason DI straight into PA etc.

A good comparison of the two here, which may be of interest:
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957"]Sansamp vs. BDI21[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

in my "want the valve but I haven't got money" period I tricked a lot with these pedals,and, in the end, I came up with........................

the Zoom B2.1U!!!!!

It emulates the Sansamp better than the Behringer does. I dare everybody to hear the difference.
what's more?
very good DI(better than the behringer)
it's solid and reliable
it's beautiful
the volume pedal is cool
the graphic digital Eq is one of the most effective ever heard
delay and chorus are great
autowah is good
all the others effects....uff, I didn't have enough time for them.

Now I still have not money, but I don't want the valve anymore, fortunately!

[quote name='fede162162' post='463506' date='Apr 15 2009, 11:01 PM']in my "want the valve but I haven't got money" period I tricked a lot with these pedals,and, in the end, I came up with the Zoom B2.1U!!!!![/quote]

I checked that one out...it's not that cheap though...the specs seem intersting, the thing does it all! but I was never a big fan of multi effects pedals, always prefered individual ones, but maybe that's just me, maybe the zoom is a great deal, haven't tried it, can't comment on that :) kind of curious now...

• 1 month later...

Coming late to this discussion, I'll put in my vote for the Behringer BDI21. Extraordinary value, plastic casing but very solid and well-made. Always use it running into the church PA in preference to my "proper" rig. Never had a moment's trouble with it, and I find it pretty easy to reproduce my own sound. It's a great relief not to have to deal with sound balance issues ;-)

I have a couple of the Zoom boxes (G2 and GFX-1) that I use with my Telecaster on non-bass occasions. They're good units, reliable and versatile, and they sound good. But personally, I've never seen the point of multi-fx with bass. I'm just not that sort of a bass player. I might use a little delay or chorus on a recording, once in a blue moon, but I've never even been tempted to use fx live. YMMV!

A friend of mine bought the Behringer a couple of months ago...

His veredict:

It 'eats' batteries in 2 or 3 reharsals
He tried 2 similar power supplies, one worked, the other didn't (same voltage) and a month later both didn't work with the pedal (they were fine, he uses them with other pedals)

so...I'm still not sure if I should get one or save money for the sansamp...i'm really tempted to be honest...with that price tag, it's almost begging me to buy it :)

[quote name='KASH' post='492223' date='May 19 2009, 11:32 AM']so...I'm still not sure if I should get one or save money for the sansamp...i'm really tempted to be honest...with that price tag, it's almost begging me to buy it :)[/quote]

With most of these things you get what you pay for – if you’re prepared to buy cheep with the knowledge that what you’re getting is cheap (in all aspects) then go for the Behringer. If you’re prepared to fork out the extra wonga then go for the more solid and arguably more reliable SansAmp…

I use a BDDI and I think it’s great.

[quote name='PauBass' post='464072' date='Apr 16 2009, 04:13 PM']:)

If you decide to go for the Sansamp I'd check the Paradriver instead of the BDDI, it's basically the same unit but with the added mids controls so you can avoid that scooped tone you get with the bass unit and, I think, they are about the same price.

[/quote]

I thought the para was for guitars and bass for bass?

Very odd, these conflicting opinions. Behringer, like Squier a year or two ago, seems to have become one of those makes of gear that polarises people! One almost suspects (no offence to present company intended) that folk who've shelled out larger prices resent the fact that someone else may be getting a bargain ;-)

Be that as it may, I personally haven't encountered any of Kash's friend's issues. Mine uses batteries at a perfectly reasonable rate, runs off my usual PSU quite happily, and has never let me down. Conscious of its plastic case, I don't use it to drive nails, but it stands up to normal use perfectly happily.

Given that they're so cheap, why not try one? If it doesn't work you've lost less than £30, and you can have the satisfaction of posting about it ;-) If it works, you've found a great sound at a bargain price.

As far as that sound is concerned, you might like to read [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294957&highlight=behringer+vs+sansamp+blind+test"]this thread at TalkBass[/url] - says it all, really!

Would the Behringer work as a pre-amp infront of a power amp? I've seen some reviews on Harmony Central that suggest it may have a weak output?

EDIT: a quick google search brought this up: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27571&st=0&p=286956&#entry286956"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry286956[/url] so I'm sorted ta!

Edited by ben604

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='492262' date='May 19 2009, 12:18 PM']I thought the para was for guitars and bass for bass?[/quote]
The Para was originally called the Acoustic DI, it's the pedal version of the RPM rack pre. Best SansAmp I've used for bass - not an EBS or DHA though :)

<Glad you still like it Paulo, see you're playing in Eastbourne, I'll try to get over.>

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='ben604' post='492277' date='May 19 2009, 12:41 PM']Would the Behringer work as a pre-amp infront of a power amp? I've seen some reviews on Harmony Central that suggest it may have a weak output?

EDIT: a quick google search brought this up: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27571&st=0&p=286956&#entry286956"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry286956[/url] so I'm sorted ta![/quote]

That's my experience too - the DI output is perfectly adequate running into a PA channel, but I can't see it driving a power amp directly. It's not what it was designed for, really. I doubt the balanced out on the SansAmp would be adequate either. You'd need a purpose-designed bass preamp, or a rackmount processor (Bass V-Amp Pro, Bass POD xt Pro) intended to drive power amps directly.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='492262' date='May 19 2009, 12:18 PM']I thought the para was for guitars and bass for bass?[/quote]

Nope, not only for guitar or acoustic instruments, it's also for bass and works great...many, many people, including me :) prefer this one over the bass driver because of the mid control.
Read here:

[url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/paradriverdi.html"]http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/paradriverdi.html[/url]

[quote name='johnnylager' post='492280' date='May 19 2009, 12:46 PM']<Glad you still like it Paulo, see you're playing in Eastbourne, I'll try to get over.>[/quote]

Yes Johnny, it's served me really well, it's a great bit of kit and, in my opinion, the way to go if you want a sansamp for bass.

I'm not in Vice Like Grip anymore mate, I'm in a different band now.