Why become a member? ×

3 band EQs + advice

JohnSlade07

I've got a Dean Prod Edge (one built on a Friday afternoon after a particularly heavy lunchtime session given the build quality) that has a 3 band EQ, as well as 2 controls for the pickups. Being a "passive" man more used to 2 maybe 3 controls I find it all a bit baffling.

I was wondering therefore if anyone had any top tips for getting the best out a 3-band EQ. I can get a wide range of sounds out of it, however, none of them are very good.

Cheers

John.

Preamp reffers to anything that happens to the signal before it gets amplified, so yes EQ is a Preamp. There are different configurations for preamp set ups. The most common are 2 and 3 band EQ's. Typically a 2 Band would consist of controls for Bass and controls For Treble. Your bass has a 3 Band EQ, controls for Bass , Mid and Treble.

It's hard to tell you what to do to get a good sound out of the preamp, it really depends on several factors,and there is no right or wrong way to set the controls.
Factors that you will have to take into consideration are , what kind of music are you playing? how are you playing (light touch? heavy touch? with a pick? slapping?) these are all very different ways of hitting the string and each produce their own natural tone, so you would have to set the preamp accordingly to your playing.

All i can suggest is just play around with the knobs and get to know your way around the controls and how to get different kinds of sounds from your bass.

This is a difficult one - there are so many variables.

I'd start by setting all the eq controls on the bass to flat (i.e., centre them if they're cut/boost type). Then I'd use the eq on my amp to try to get something that's reasonably satisfactory (according to playing style as indicated above). From there, I'd tweak the active controls on the bass - gently - to see if I could find an improvement. The reverse is possible - set the eq on the amp to flat and gently tweak the eq on the bass to find something pleasing. Then experiment with further adjustment of the eq on the amp. A lot depends on playing style, more too on environment - are you practising at home or playing in a band situation? Room/space/volume will have a big impact.

I sometimes find that good results are possible using a fairly flat eq on the bass and amp whilst experimenting with the pick-up pan (i.e., balance between the mix of pickups) if you have one. In fact, I often control tone in this way primarily.

Other things you could try are a good set-up and new or different strings, or adjustment of the pick-up height.

I'm not sure this helps much but good luck.

[quote name='YouMa' post='454551' date='Apr 5 2009, 11:03 AM']I had the same problem with my streamer,im going to fit a preamp to my new fender jazz but i am going to try and get something as uncomplicated as possible that just makes the bass more powerful.[/quote]

That'll probably be a J retro East will it? No routing needed so you can stick the old control plate back if you ever sell it on and it's back to original.

[quote name='leschirons' post='455797' date='Apr 6 2009, 08:04 PM']That'll probably be a J retro East will it? No routing needed so you can stick the old control plate back if you ever sell it on and it's back to original.[/quote]

The Audere is even easier. Terminal blocks for the pickup wires to make it a doddle for people like me who are atrocious with a soldering iron.