Why become a member? ×

How to boost D and G strings???

ash_sak

Hi, i have a jazz, style, bass that has a realllly low output on the D and G strings but the E and A are relatively loud.
(I posted something earlier about the voluming cutting but i realised that was just the amp)
I've tried altering the EQ on the bass n that doesn't change the output...can't see why it would but perhaps.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to how i could boost these two strings volume.
If i was to play a G on each string (sticking with the same pitch G) then it sounds louder on the D and E strings, so it's not like the bass is responding differently to different frequencies. (I might've just mis matched a lot of words there but i hope you'll get what i mean)
Would changing the Pick ups, or wiring or the tone controls (it's passive right now) help?

I know compression might work aswell, or something like that, but i just get the feeling that there's something 'up' about my bass.

Thanks.

Yeah the output's lower on both pickups and i've tried lowering just the D and G strings but it didn't seem to change anything.

As for checking the actual pickups i haven't, i might get it checked over by a guitar tech. but i thought some helpful advice from the BC community could aid my plight first.

Turn the pick ups around...hmm, nice idea.
(Just to clarify, do you mean switching the two around or turning them 180 degrees, if that makes sense)?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='452179' date='Apr 2 2009, 10:09 AM']Raise the pickups on the D&G side and lower them on the E&A side.

Are you boosting the lows on your amp? Doing so can make the lower strings louder and thus mean you lose the higher strings.

Alex[/quote]

Even if he's playing the same pitch on each string?

[quote name='ash_sak' post='452134' date='Apr 2 2009, 07:59 AM']Turn the pick ups around...hmm, nice idea.
(Just to clarify, do you mean switching the two around or turning them 180 degrees, if that makes sense)?[/quote]

Turn them 180 degrees, they won't fit each others' slots.

[quote name='ash_sak' post='452103' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:20 AM']Hi, i have a jazz, style, bass that has a realllly low output on the D and G strings but the E and A are relatively loud.
(I posted something earlier about the voluming cutting but i realised that was just the amp)
I've tried altering the EQ on the bass n that doesn't change the output...can't see why it would but perhaps.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to how i could boost these two strings volume.
If i was to play a G on each string (sticking with the same pitch G) then it sounds louder on the D and E strings, so it's not like the bass is responding differently to different frequencies. (I might've just mis matched a lot of words there but i hope you'll get what i mean)
Would changing the Pick ups, or wiring or the tone controls (it's passive right now) help?

Thanks.[/quote]

Snap, same problem. But then I've got an old cheapo "Precision" style bass with the combined offset pickups. In my case I think it's just that the potentiometer for the pickup under D and G, is very non linear. It "comes in" about 3/4 of the way through its travel.

I've done all the other set-up stuff and the gap between pickup and string is pretty uniform across the strings at about 2.5mm. In my circumstances I can just live with it by backing-off the pickup for E and A. I know its a bit of a fiddle, but you could check out the all the "pots" and give them a good clean with an electrical switch cleaner. Or even check all the solder joints.

Good luck.

Balcro.

Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='452357' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:58 PM']Snap, same problem. But then I've got an old cheapo "Precision" style bass with the combined offset pickups. In my case I think it's just that the potentiometer for the pickup under D and G, is very non linear. It "comes in" about 3/4 of the way through its travel.

I've done all the other set-up stuff and the gap between pickup and string is pretty uniform across the strings at about 2.5mm. In my circumstances I can just live with it by backing-off the pickup for E and A. I know its a bit of a fiddle, but you could check out the all the "pots" and give them a good clean with an electrical switch cleaner. Or even check all the solder joints.

Good luck.

Balcro.

Balcro[/quote]

Your bass has separate volume controls for the EA and DG?

[quote name='ash_sak' post='452103' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:20 AM']Hi, i have a jazz, style, bass that has a realllly low output on the D and G strings but the E and A are relatively loud.

I know compression might work aswell, or something like that, but i just get the feeling that there's something 'up' about my bass.

Thanks.[/quote]

someone once told me to get my pickups re-waxed if this happens...
im no buff with this sort of thing,so he may have been taking the piss...

put some EMGs in there!

[quote name='bremen' post='452392' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:21 PM']Your bass has separate volume controls for the EA and DG?[/quote]

No, it has one tone control and one volume control. My post was a little mis-leading.

Having ruled out physical defects, fitted new strings and done a full set-up, I'm left with the same lack of volume on G & D as the OP.

I couldn't tell you how it's wired up, but if you turn the tone control anti-clockwise it brings in the G & D. It acts in a non linear fashion and the boost to G & D is quite sudden and rises steeply, while the output from E & A holds up. No crackles or pops, just a very non-linear action. Put the tone control in the middle and I have the same imbalance as the OP.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='452471' date='Apr 2 2009, 02:38 PM']No, it has one tone control and one volume control. My post was a little mis-leading.

Having ruled out physical defects, fitted new strings and done a full set-up, I'm left with the same lack of volume on G & D as the OP.

I couldn't tell you how it's wired up, but if you turn the tone control anti-clockwise it brings in the G & D. It acts in a non linear fashion and the boost to G & D is quite sudden and rises steeply, while the output from E & A holds up. No crackles or pops, just a very non-linear action. Put the tone control in the middle and I have the same imbalance as the OP.

Balcro.[/quote]

The tone control on all the passive basses I've ever owned has just been a treble roll-off that affects all the strings equally.

But there's no reason the two halves of a P pickup couldn't be wired to independent volume controls, or a 'balance' control.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='452317' date='Apr 2 2009, 12:18 PM']Even if he's playing the same pitch on each string?[/quote]

Same note, different tonal content.

This is such a common problem and almost always is due to a lack of midrange in the sound or incorrectly adjusted pickup heights. I recommend adjusting the bridge pickup first, get that balanced string to string and nice and loud, then adjust the neck pickup to get equal loudness (which usually requires having the neck pickup lower). Because the thicker strings have more magnetic material for the pickup to sense they end up being louder unless you increase the gap between them and the pickup.

Alex

Interesting. I can understand the increase in output for the thicker strings, but you were saying that if you boost the bass on an amp, then the thicker strings will be louder even when comparing them on the same note? I know there will be a variation in harmonic/tonal (whatever the term) content but surely not that noticable?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.
I'm quite glad i did post this now.

I have a feeling the pick up might be slightly higher towards D and E, infact i shall check right now...
Yeah i think the bridge pick up is slightly higher on the E end, very slightly.

As for the strings, someone might be right there the G is a different make to the rest of them.

I use either D'Addario Chromes Flatwound (Super Light, i like having a loose tension)
Or La Bella 'Deep Talkin' Flatwound (against a light gauge)

I say either cause one of those is on my fretted and one is on my fretless, (the bass in question is fretless)

I dont know why i didn't change that G string, it was probably cause it was a 'nice' tension.

I will have a hunt later for the other string and restring, and see if that makes a difference. It might explain why the G is quieter.
If that doesn't work then i might then set about trying out some of the other suggestions.

Thanks agian for the help.
And keep it coming if there's any other ideas.

Ashok

[quote name='cheddatom' post='452561' date='Apr 2 2009, 04:38 PM']Interesting. I can understand the increase in output for the thicker strings, but you were saying that if you boost the bass on an amp, then the thicker strings will be louder even when comparing them on the same note? I know there will be a variation in harmonic/tonal (whatever the term) content but surely not that noticable?[/quote]

Try it.

Thicker strings have less midrange and treble so when adjusted to sound equally loud they will contain more lows. Then boost the lows and enharmonic notes get louder by a greater degree on thicker strings.

Also if you adjust your pickups to get you the right balance at very low SPL it will not be right at very high SPL. All tied in with how poor human ears are at hearing lows.

Alex

Hi,
Maybe have a look at this thread also - there may be something of interest:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44274"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44274[/url]

A lot of the ground has been covered here but there might be something useful... I had this problem once and threw in my tuppence-hapenny worth on the other link, there was a lot of useful advice/different takes from differect BC'ers on the problem. Lot of interesting thoughts on this here thread as well!... Thanks a lot,
Sean

[quote name='alexclaber' post='452579' date='Apr 2 2009, 05:02 PM']Try it.

Thicker strings have less midrange and treble so when adjusted to sound equally loud they will contain more lows. Then boost the lows and enharmonic notes get louder by a greater degree on thicker strings.

Also if you adjust your pickups to get you the right balance at very low SPL it will not be right at very high SPL. All tied in with how poor human ears are at hearing lows.

Alex[/quote]

I did try it and obviously you are right! Very interesting, ta.