Why become a member? ×

Finding new bands

SteveXFR

I remember going to try-outs (auditions is a high falutin word in these cases) with several bands and felt like I was interviewing for a post as graduate management trainee. Surprised they never asked me where I saw myself in 5 years time. From then on I only ever then joined bands with people I knew socially or through work. I need to have that connection first before any music starts happening

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I remember going to try-outs (auditions is a high falutin word in these cases) with several bands and felt like I was interviewing for a post as graduate management trainee. Surprised they never asked me where I saw myself in 5 years time. From then on I only ever then joined bands with people I knew socially or through work. I need to have that connection first before any music starts happening

Same. I honestly couldn't see me ever being in a band with people I didn't already know. 

I've never auditioned for a band in my life and I can't imagine I ever would. I'm just not at that level professionally or personally where I want to be in a band for the sake of it. 

Every band I've ever been in (and there's only been 3) has been a bunch of mates hanging out and making a noise together. That's all I've ever wanted out of being in a band. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Same. I honestly couldn't see me ever being in a band with people I didn't already know. 

I've never auditioned for a band in my life and I can't imagine I ever would. I'm just not at that level professionally or personally where I want to be in a band for the sake of it. 

Every band I've ever been in (and there's only been 3) has been a bunch of mates hanging out and making a noise together. That's all I've ever wanted out of being in a band. 

In my yoot I used to fantasise about making it biggish in a band (didn't most of us?) and so every week I bought Melody Maker for the musicians ads. Had auditions for several bands that went on to reasonable success but my fondness for slap n' pop put many off I think (this was the late 80s/early 90s and I was a bit of a Mark King obsessive). It soon dawned on me I didn't want to be in a band where it was like going to work and that band members were just colleagues. The social side (i.e. drinking, bantering and playing pool) was as important to me as trying to make music. The good thing about 'auditions' is they knocked my fantasies on the head and let me focus on getting a degree.

• Like 1

I find Bandmix a total waste of time, on the few occasions that I've bit the bullet and bought a month's subscription so that I can message people, I can honestly say that out of over 100+ messages I've sent, I have only had six or seven replies.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I find Bandmix a total waste of time, on the few occasions that I've bit the bullet and bought a month's subscription so that I can message people, I can honestly say that out of over 100+ messages I've sent, I have only had six or seven replies.

Ditto viz JMB. Several  years ago I thought I'd give the strangers route a final go as no one I new played an instrument but was underwhelmed to see 80% + of ads were for metal and punk pop bands. I put up an ad to start/join a band along the lines of Transglobal Underground/Dreadzone/ Leftfield and after 3 weeks and hundreds of looks got one reply.

Playing with new people is one of the things that keeps being in bands interesting for me.

While I was a fan of one of the bands I currently play with, I didn't really know them as people before I joined the band, and the other band I play with were all new to me both musically and personally.