Why become a member? ×

Fender Dimension deluxe

la bam

• la bam changed the title to Fender Dimension deluxe

I’ve owned a 5HH deluxe and still have the 4HH listed above. The only control options on the Deluxe that I know of are :

Single H with vol/treb/mid/bass

Or

Double H with addition of the five way switch.

Positions 2 and 4 on the switch are both inner coils and both outer coils on the humbuckers which I believe is similar to a Stingray HH. And there in lies the problem that the Dimension seems to be viewed mostly  as Fender’s failed Stingray clone which does the bass a bit of a disservice as it’s also got its own vibe and sound.

This is purely my own personal opinion and from experience but the natural ash five I had felt very close to an SR5 in the neck shape, feel of the unfinished wood in the fretting hand, string spacing and general ergonomics. And though it didn’t nail the stingray tone on the bridge humbucker it really was close to a Stingray 5 in overall feel.  I do regret letting that one go now.

The 4HH neck to me, is not similar in profile to any MM neck, more like a modern P I guess, though it is still unfinished.

The Deluxe is a great bass for covering a lot of sounds. Again in my humble opinion, but probably works better in certain situations than say a Jazz bass, the Dimension really grinds and sounds dead ballsy with a pick which is something I’ve just come across. It also has some great two pickup slap tones (pos 2,3 and 4) There’s also the fact that you’re getting the fit and finish of a USA deluxe Fender for two to three hundred quid less than an equivalent Jazz or Precision deluxe. 

edit: should add that the Dimensions have a compound radius fingerboard, truss rod wheel adjustment at the body end and graphite strengthening rods in the neck. Neck is very stable. I don’t have to touch the truss rod on mine 

I haven’t come across any major flaws in the bass though I’ve found the preamp is neither stellar nor rubbish but seems adequately up to the job.
It is 18v though and seems to have enough headroom.  Pickups are obviously an unusual shape which will kill any future modding plans if that’s your thing. The looks aren’t everyone’s cup of tea (smaller horns and pickguard shape spring to mind)

I put mine up for sale when I got my Classic Sabre and I’m still undecided about it. Not because it’s not a good bass because it clearly is, but more because I’m having trouble deciding/justifying where it fits in with my set up at the moment.

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 1

My mate nabbed the 5 string passive version and it really does need to be viewed as it’s own thing rather than Fender’s attempt at… If anything think of it as a beefy jazz rather than a Stingray wanna be. His passive 5 sounds great and has the sonic qualities of active but passive based on the sound of the ceramic pick ups paired to the passive tone controls. It makes for a nice mix of new and old. It’s sounds modern but can be tamed if that makes sense. I still hanker for a 4 string version just to have a proper blast but I have been considering asking him for a loan of his as I would like to give it a more in-depth play with some new material - just don’t really think I need a 5’er for it. 

I’ve had both flavours and I can echo the opinions above. I didn’t need to touch the EQ on the active model as the 5-position switch offered a nice range of sounds. Personally I think it’s more versatile than an MM double humbucker as the pickup positions are further away from the neck; however I moved all of them in the end as they’re just not that engaging - but also I only play a 5 and the B string was OK but not exceptional. It recorded very well and would make a great do it all bass.