Why become a member? ×

Ian Dury and the BH

Mickyk

When i think back off all the live acts i have seen over the years ,i still can recall the absolute musicianship  of these guys, who i saw at Bridlington Spa Hall  back in 1980.

I was right at the front, and i recall my eyes being fixated at  Norman Watt Roy's bass guitar, they were so tight as a band its unbelievable, with the occasional glance over to the inimitable Chaz Jankel's guitar playing. From that day on i was hooked on the Bass Guitar,? Anyone else felt the same way with perhaps another band /bass player, or was it just me.

Blockheads this week retired from touring…

Great memories…

BLOCKHEAD ANNOUNCEMENT AUGUST 2021

Regretfully we have to announce that, due to deteriorating and ongoing health issues affecting key band members, exacerbated by the current crisis, it is no longer possible for the band to continue LIVE work at the intensity and regularity they have been for the past 45 years.

Following medical advice we have instructed our agents and promotors that we have no option but to cancel all shows for the foreseeable future. 

Until such times as these pervading problems can be addressed and resolved we cannot now consider taking the risk of exposing vulnerable BLOCKHEAD immune systems to the rigours and stresses of ‘the road’. 

You, our fans, have been loyal, supportive and magnificent throughout not only the glory days with Ian but also, more importantly, in the years following his death in March 2000. Your help, encouragement and dedication to Blockhead identity by regularly attending shows and purchasing our merchandise has enabled the band to continue to write, record and perform as a unique and independent entity for 20 years. 

There will remain a truly special place in our hearts for all Honorary Blockhead Members whose continuous support, from the memberships’ inception to the present day, has been exceptional and inspiring and, without doubt, nurtured the band through difficult times.  

We have all travelled the decades together. You have watched us, and we have seen you, grow from young and glamorous to older and wiser. By exposing and introducing our music and lyrics to consecutive generations you have established a place for us as influencers in the musical history of the U.K. For this we will be forever grateful, both personally and professionally.

BLOCKHEADS LTD, the company under which The Blockheads band has traded since 2001, has been reliant on the revenue generated by regular live appearances for its existence. In light of these unfolding circumstances this is no longer tenable and in order to preserve the integrity of the company, during this hiatus, our immediate future sustainability will now rely on subscription based platforms like PATREON (https://www.patreon.com/theblockheads) where we can deliver to you performances and rarities from our archive and links, chats and invites to all Blockhead associated projects. The band intend to continue to explore ways to play live and reach out to fans by using the technology available and sourcing a dedicated venue/venues from which to operate in a more established setting.

Going forward, treatments and recoveries permitting, the band intend to make themselves available for appearances at selected events in 2022. A less hectic and more achievable goal under present circumstances.

Thank you for all your messages of concern and support  

Mick Gallagher
… for The Blockheads

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Mickyk said:

When i think back off all the live acts i have seen over the years ,i still can recall the absolute musicianship  of these guys, who i saw at Bridlington Spa Hall  back in 1980.

I was right at the front, and i recall my eyes being fixated at  Norman Watt Roy's bass guitar, they were so tight as a band its unbelievable, with the occasional glance over to the inimitable Chaz Jankel's guitar playing. From that day on i was hooked on the Bass Guitar,? Anyone else felt the same way with perhaps another band /bass player, or was it just me.

Is   that  one of those  brilliant Acoustic 360 rigs behind  Notm ?

I met Norman Watt Roy after a Wilko Johnson gig we ended up having a few drinks and mainly talking about basses as you do. It was JJ Burnel for me I went to see The Stranglers back in 1977. I was 15 I remember saying to a man who was standing next to me what type of guitar is that he said that’s a Bass son and that was it for me.

Edited by marleaux62
  • Like 2