Why become a member? ×

Yet Another Bitsa P-Bass Build

Velarian

The thing is I’ll be using a cut-down p-bass pick guard so the shape is what it is. I’m ok with that. The advantage of this is that the screw holes will allow a full standard pick guard to be fitted later if necessary. The plate will be cut from this:-

2642B550-35AA-4A92-B7CC-500C81F81256.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve got a new bone nut to fit later but for now this is a rough repair of the existing nut using the super glue trick mentioned earlier. With a bit more filling and tidying up it should be good enough to do a basic set up when everything else is done. 

1D075CA5-6AD6-49E3-8DC0-88A3DBCBAF1F.jpeg

• Like 1

I cut the control plate from the mirrored pick guard yesterday. It’s really hard to get the bevelled edge right and it needs a bit more filing around the curve. It’s not as good as a proper metal plate but it’s getting there. 

I also double and triple checked the bridge position and marked the hole centres with a bradawl along with the holes for the control plate. I’m pretty happy with the positioning now.  I just need to actually drill the holes now but I must make sure I use the right sized drill bit. 

9719E4A3-73EB-4271-82DE-3118BACEABC3.jpeg

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 8

Don't forget to link each copper shielding to ground otherwise it will be useless. And it's really very often forgotten. So solder a wire between the two cavities and a wire from the main one to the grounded pot. Use star grounding for optimal results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/09/2021 at 22:05, Hellzero said:

Don't forget to link each copper shielding to ground otherwise it will be useless. And it's really very often forgotten. So solder a wire between the two cavities and a wire from the main one to the grounded pot. Use star grounding for optimal results.

As suggested, I’ve connected the pickup cavity with the control cavity. I did this using a length of copper shielding tape folded into a narrow strip which I fed through the connecting hole and then taped to the cavity walls with more copper tape. I hope this method is OK?

As the pickups are attached to a backing plate with the ground wires soldered to it (see pic), can you confirm that this will be sufficient given that the ground wire will also be connected to the wiring loom and therefore to the bridge? I’m thinking that there doesn’t need to be a second ground connection in the control cavity itself now that the two cavities are connected and the grounded pickup plate is in direct contact with the shielding in the pickup cavity. 

7AB01FDF-BE6A-42E5-A0B0-B7D4C20764C3.jpeg

Sounds like a plan...

Have you got a multimeter to check continuity?

If the grounding plates are in contact in the pickup cavity... and then grounded in the control cavity, earth to pot to body n bridge then the extra thru hole link may not be needed but should do no harm..

I used screening paint and used a cotton bud to paint the link hole and checked with a multimeter.

Need more pics mind...

Did the nut tidy up OK after the build up?

Edited by PaulThePlug

I don’t have a multimeter unfortunately (I used to have one years ago but I’ve no idea what happened to it). Maybe I’ll buy one as it will come in useful for all sorts of other stuff. 

I wasn’t planning on a specific ground connection in the control cavity if the connection through the hole is good enough. In effect the control cavity should be grounded via the connection to the pickup cavity and the pickups, which in turn connect to the wiring loom, bridge and jack socket. I’ll take some more pics tomorrow. 

I did the holes shielding method once on a Jazz Bass, took ages, but it's working as good as a wire soldered.

Furthermore, the grounding plate of the pickups will be "earthed" too, so it's more than enough.

You should invest in a cheap multimeter, after all, all you need is being able to check continuity, pickups impedance, pots, a few tensions here and there and maybe check a capacitor or diode. It's only a few quids well spent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got myself a multimeter today and checked the continuity between the cavitIes and all is good. I therefore cracked on and completed the assembly. I used copper foil to secure the bridge ground wire. After finishing that I checked the continuity again and was able to confirm that there there is complete continuity from the bridge, through both cavities and the back of the control plate. 

There’s a significant amount of adjustment needed from a set up point of view but I’m quite pleased with how things have turned out so far. I was able to plug it in and it worked perfectly first time. It sounds pretty good even though it’s not very playable in its current state. It felt a bit like that bit in car SOS where they start the engine for the first time. 😁

More tweaking tomorrow. Here it is:

8B639264-2C68-43F0-BBD3-10C06CB33106.jpeg

• Like 6

Cheers, I’m very happy. I just hope the set up works out OK and the truss rod behaves itself. 

It’s been great having you along for the ride. In fact more than that; you seemed to have a knack of anticipating what I would need next and answering questions that I didn’t know I had. I’m really grateful for your insight and the other contributors too. 👏

19 hours ago, Velarian said:

I got myself a multimeter today and checked the continuity between the cavitIes and all is good. I therefore cracked on and completed the assembly. I used copper foil to secure the bridge ground wire. After finishing that I checked the continuity again and was able to confirm that there there is complete continuity from the bridge, through both cavities and the back of the control plate. 

There’s a significant amount of adjustment needed from a set up point of view but I’m quite pleased with how things have turned out so far. I was able to plug it in and it worked perfectly first time. It sounds pretty good even though it’s not very playable in its current state. It felt a bit like that bit in car SOS where they start the engine for the first time. 😁

More tweaking tomorrow. Here it is:

8B639264-2C68-43F0-BBD3-10C06CB33106.jpeg

Looks great! I agree with the above, much prefer the small control plate & no scratchplate 👏🏻

• Thanks 1