Why become a member? ×

Yet Another Bitsa P-Bass Build

Velarian

12 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Let me get this straight - I give you a total genius suggestion from so far out of left-field that’s in the next flocking galaxy and you reward me with an image of a paper clip ? It makes me mad ….

E0F07D52-D3EC-4CF0-98E3-0B6E958C69E8.jpeg

Clarification - I wanted to see if it would work - now all I see is a paper clip 😔

Nice... Real Nice... Dont hide the burst!

From the earlier 'Pickguard' pics it wasnt obvious that there us next to no pickup routing, and no pickguard screw holes.

I would defo be going no main plate, and a little 'lick' of a comma shape, ala P Scratchplate for the control cavity... A P version on the Jazz Bell Plate!

Trace and cut out a little mock up out of card... just for fun. would look so original and unique.

If its that small, we could allow it in tort...😉 that erplaz / brian bloke may even have an off cut!

Edited by PaulThePlug

3 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice... Real Nice... Dont hide the burst!

From the earlier 'Pickguard' pics it wasnt obvious that there us next to no pickup routing, and no pickguard screw holes.

I would defo be going no main plate, and a little 'lick' of a comma shape, ala P Scratchplate for the control cavity... A P version on the Jazz Bell Plate!

I think you might have a point there actually. It would compliment my fretless Jazz Bass which has a similar look. 

405951C9-4851-4993-BDE1-71837F1D8C47.jpeg

19 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Mate!... BINGO!

Howz about a Fender Mustang Bass Control Plate... size? maybe?

HC003X-2.jpg.d8293fdcb88f334b2fdb99e931066642.jpg

That’s certainly worth a look. I’m totally convinced this is the way to go now.

I didn’t really fancy drilling 13 pickguard holes in that pristine body TBH 😉

• Like 1

Glad that drilling went ok !

Looks great bolted up anyway..phew.. :)

ps .. if it were me I'd try a few control plate template shapes from cardboard and "try them on" to see which you prefer

pps.  I reckon a stingray plate would work well, and not look like theres "a bit missing" !

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Clarification - I wanted to see if it would work - now all I see is a paper clip 😔

Sorry, my ‘confused’ response earlier was due to me not understanding why the photos didn’t embed inline with the text. The polystyrene idea gave me the best solution with what I had to work with so thanks for that. 🙂

If anyone can tell me how to post multiple photos in a single post in line with the content that would be good.  🤔

32 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Mate!... BINGO!

Howz about a Fender Mustang Bass Control Plate... size? maybe?

HC003X-2.jpg.d8293fdcb88f334b2fdb99e931066642.jpg

MEWP_Drawing__84212.1597904612.thumb.jpg.824aed65fffbf17e2e46c0f46b6ea40d.jpg

Thanks for adding the schematic with the sizes. I’ll be able to scale that up and print it out to see if it works with the routing. 

5 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Glad that drilling went ok !

Looks great bolted up anyway..phew.. :)

ps .. if it were me I'd try a few control plate template shapes from cardboard and "try them on" to see which you prefer

Will definitely do that. 

I downloaded some control plate templates and printed them at full scale to see how they would would look on the bass.

The Mustang one was too small and not curved enough. The others were for three pots +Jack socket so not really ideal but give a reasonable idea.

First up is one supposedly for a precision but I couldn’t see any on sale anywhere: -

7EF06464-AC7D-4185-8F63-F445276B8D02.jpeg

I had a look for a two pot version of the MusicMan and found this on eBay: -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-guitar-control-plate-loaded-wired-panel-music-man-2-pot-type-choose-colour-/194264507947?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

If this is a similar size to the three pot plate It looks like it would work but there are no dimensions. I’ll contact the seller to try and confirm the size and if it’s close I might take a punt on it. 

I’ve tried to mock up what the Music Man plate would look like with two holes and it’s not too bad. If the dimensions of the eBay one turn out to be right it would be the easiest solution.

I agree that the P ’comma’ looks the best but I’ve no idea how to achieve that, especially if it would have to be custom made. Is that even possible?

558DDC74-7463-47D3-B384-C5329A64F5B7.jpeg

I still like the stingray plate best.

( not just cos I like stingrays!)

I think it looks like it's a designed finished item rather than the P shape that looks like a bit that's been cut off something ( which is essentially what it is !)

Obviously this stuff is in the eye of the beholder, and you've got to go with what you yourself feel looks right.

• Like 1

I may end up with the two pot MM style one if it will fit, just because it will be the easiest to get hold of.

I’ve had a quick look online for sheet metal fabricators and chrome plating services and there are some firms locally that might be able to make what I need, but I’ve no idea what the cost would be and it’s just another level of pain to arrange. We shall see 🤔

• Like 1