Why become a member? ×

Five string bass for small people and small hands - recommendations?

lapolpora

Hi BC Gang,

For her 16th birthday my daughter wants a five string bass (what teenage girl doesn't?). She's quite a small girl at 4' 11'' and has quite small hands. I'm wondering if there's a five string out there that will suit her - something with a smallish body, narrow neck width and 32-34" scale length?

She current plays on a four sting, medium scale (32") Yamaha BBIVs which she is very comfortable on. But being heavily into metal she's really hankering after a five string!

Any recommendations? I have an open mind on budget - but looking at £250-1000 and preferably used.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by lapolpora

I'm small too - although no longer a teenager! - and concur in recommending Ibanez basses. I play a supercheapo SR375 5-stringer. It's normal long scale, but with a thin, narrow neck and a small body; very comfortable to my small, nay tiny, hands. Only drawback, it's heavy, but more expensive models may be lighter.

Incidentally, I would be wary of getting a 5-stringer that's shorter than 34 inch: the low B is likely to feel a bit floppy and sound thuddy, IME. Usually the longer the low B string is, the better it sounds.

My NBD review is HERE.

@lapolpora, you have a very cool daughter. :)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I'm small too - although no longer a teenager! - and concur in recommending Ibanez basses. I play a supercheapo SR375 5-stringer. It's normal long scale, but with a thin, narrow neck and a small body; very comfortable to my small, nay tiny, hands. Only drawback, it's heavy, but more expensive models may be lighter.

Incidentally, I would be wary of getting a 5-stringer that's shorter than 34 inch: the low B is likely to feel a bit floppy and sound thuddy, IME. Usually the longer the low B string is, the better it sounds.

My NBD review is HERE.

@lapolpora, you have a very cool daughter. :)

Thanks! And yes, she is ❤️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

Whatever bass she buys, get her some lessons so that her technique will be correct for the new instrument. Having small hands doesn't have to be a problem when playing 5 string basses if you are paying then correctly.

Good advice, and thanks. 

I don't have big hands. I can play extra long scale basses as competently as I can a shorter scale.

But on a 3 hour function gig I'll take the comfortable option every time.

Problems and Comfort or lack of it are not the same thing.

It's the same as balance and weight etc. With the massive amount of options available these days there is no reason to make it more difficult / annoying than it has to be.

The best instrument for any player is one that seems to get out of the way of the music and playing.

• Like 2