Why become a member? ×

Bassballs

ped

Hi guys

Had a band jam today and I took my Bassballs pedal as I haven’t used it in a while. It sounded amazing with my passive P. Growly, full and syrupy. I’ve modified the frequency pots a while ago and it just felt like the range was bang on. It started to sound like a phaser without losing any ‘balls’. It’s one of those things that sounds great live for some reason. 

I had an old 80s version a while back with ‘elephant skin’ texture side and back panel. The one I have now is more of a matte finish. 

Is the Russian version worth trying out? Some people seem to think it’s a bit harsher sounding. I’ve also seen some green paint versions. Any experience with those?

Cheers

Just now, stewblack said:

Hmm. I never tried mine with a band, couldn't get what I wanted so moved it on. Perhaps I was hasty...

Its one of those things - basses and effects come and go, and now and then you try a combo that just works. For example my FunkULator sounds amazing with one bass but just doesn’t suit another. Good thing is they’re cheap!

1 minute ago, ped said:

Its one of those things - basses and effects come and go, and now and then you try a combo that just works. For example my FunkULator sounds amazing with one bass but just doesn’t suit another. Good thing is they’re cheap!

I have resigned myself to buying and trying as many as I possibly can. It's so much fun.

• Haha 1

I used to own an old one with the textured sides and without a status LED. I have no idea what happened to it (or my original coloursound fuzz).

I now have on my board a mooer bass sweeper which makes all the sounds I remember from my bass balls but with more variation possible without opening it up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I used to own an old one with the textured sides and without a status LED. I have no idea what happened to it (or my original coloursound fuzz).

I now have on my board a mooer bass sweeper which makes all the sounds I remember from my bass balls but with more variation possible without opening it up.

Yeah I’ve heard they sound really good and it’s nice and small. Wish it took a battery though 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BadHands said:

The Bassballs is one I've always struggled to get sounding full enough for live use. I've not long got a Sovtek one as well, and I'm thinking of doing a comparison video if that's something any of you would be interested in?

Me too - it's weird, somehow it just worked yesterday. It actually came up after the keys player was trying out some sounds on his awesome rubberised keyboard synth (Roli Seaboard?) and I thought 'that sounds like the baseballs' - I dug mine out and it was really similar. I've had difficulty getting my other envelope filters to sound their best on a P with flats, so I kind of assumed that there was something about flats that didn't 'envelope' well - but the baseballs just works really evenly and with girth and poise across all the strings. 

A video would be interesting to see some comparison. Even though the variables are magnified especially with an envelope filter, it would be good to hear how it sounds alongside the USA pedal in state same hands. Thanks. I'll post a wanted ad for a Russian version shortly...

• Haha 1

I've got a black Russian Bassballs. I find it an odd pedal. It's not the best filter and the distortion isn't great, but it gives a sound that is more unique than just stacking other pedals.

The Big John Obama Wah does a kind of similar thing, but with more of a cocked wah sound.

Odd is right - it does one thing, but when it likes the instrument going into it, it does that thing well! PersonallyI like having both trim pots as low as they go and it sounds like a phaser with a bit of a rough edge. I went back to my actual phaser afterwards and couldn't hear it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Still loving it with my P. It sounds brilliant with the trim pots right down and the sensitivity low (the SB1 output is mental though so that’s partly why I set it like that) playing so that it just starts to burble and growl and gives the occasional ‘phaser’ sounding accent when you dig in. It just sounds great live and the slight volume boost is welcome too. 

When I first got one years ago just after I started Bass I sold it quickly because I didn’t get it, but I guess you need to be comfortable with your regular signal chain before you can appreciate the nuances of various effects. 

Oh look at that, one of the letters fell off!!

15BAB6AB-2FD2-4C0B-8DBB-710F2436EEBD.jpeg

• Haha 1