Why become a member? ×

Using a strap pin as a spacer to use long scale strings on a medium scale bass

shoulderpet

Hi all

My modest collection of basses consists of short and medium scale basses, I have always used long scale strings and cut them down as although the selection of medium scale strings is better than it has been in the past it is still somewhat lacking and often in really funky gauges (Rotosound medium scale for example is 90,75,50,40), I know a lot of people will be thinking "just but the right scale strings" but I can never find the right scale strings in the gauges and the brand that I like

I have never encountered any issues using long scale strings but I know that theoretically it is not good to have the speaking length of the string wrapped around the tuner and it probably doesn't help the lifespan of the string.

I have a couple of strap pins in my toolbox and was thinking of sliding one or two of these onto the string so that the taper of the string is the only part of the string wrapped around the tuning post. 

My only reservation in doing this is that I don't know if it might be bad for the bass since the tension that was held at the ball end will now be transferred to a larger area due to the strap pin (physics is not my strong point) , is this a bad idea?

On 09/08/2021 at 13:30, shoulderpet said:

...but I know that theoretically it is not good to have the speaking length of the string wrapped around the tuner and it probably doesn't help the lifespan of the string.

Please explain. I do not see a problem, but you may have some extra knowledge you have to share.

I have had no issues using long scale plus strings in any of my basses. Scales range from 33" to 36". I always cut the excess before restringing a bass.

Gary Willis used to use little plastic spacers behind the bridge of his basses to move the ball end further away, so it has been done before.

I've been meaning to try it as I can't get a D'addario medium scale B string.

You can always order custom strings from Newtone and have them made exactly for your instrument. Very nice they are too.

• Like 1