Why become a member? ×

Cab recommendations for Trace head

uk_lefty

I stumbled upon a great deal for a Trace 2x10 combo in immaculate condition the other day and just could not resist. I love the Trace sound and I have an 80s band starting up that could be promising, and have played my Washburn-Status through a Trace at rehearsals and loved it. I have been toying with the idea of a hybrid valve amp recently too. Then this opportunity fell in to my lap, a Trace 122H GP12. It has all the usual bells and whistles plus a button to engage the valve drive and a rotary control for this. I've not seen this before on their 2x10s.

I'd love to have a single amp solution for both my bands: a function band that needs a traditional P bass type sound for the first set and something more up front for a more danceable second set, then my 80s band with lots of 80s pop type tones that the Trace will be perfect for. 

Obviously this is going to be heavier than a very heavy thing, so I'm thinking of committing a crime against nature and having the head and cab separated so I could use lightweight cabs with the head. I'll try it with my Rootmaster 1x15 and 2x10 but ideally I want something lightweight that will give me a deep and punchy sound... 1x15, 4x10, not sure. Looking for recommendations please, not premium cost like Vanderkley and Barefaced, something a bit more mainstream budget wise (Hartke? Ashdown ABM? The TC 4x10 that Andertons are knocking out for 249?).

I've used my TE heads with a pair of Schroeder Mini8L - not suggesting you get these but there is a very nice Schroeder 1210 for sale here:

If it's anything like the Mini8L, which I have no reason to doubt, it would be a good buy at £175.