Why become a member? ×

2 inch by 3 inch bridge?

SgtPepper02

Hello everyone! I've come across a curious situation and I'm hoping someone will know what I'm looking for!

I purchased a homebuilt bass guitar this morning at a local car bootsale. I was already looking into guitar modding/restoring but this project just fell into my hands and I'm going to go for it. It clearly was once a working instrument but has been gutted and stranded. There are 3 pot holes, 2 very obviously J pickup holes, and a bridge slot measuring at 2 inches by 3 inches wide, I tried a Pbass bridge I had laying around but it did not align whatsoever, does anyone have any idea what bridge would've been used originally? 

I'm also hoping to ask more as I go through the project so if I'm posting to the wrong place please could you lead me to the right location for these type of queries? Many thanks!

DSC_0130.JPG

Edited by SgtPepper02

Bass looks like it's set/through-neck, I would speculate the original bridge has been recessed to enable lowering the string height to make it playable. I wouldn't have any concerns about making the route larger, and possibly deeper, if you want to fit a different, possibly heavy-duty bridge.

Although from what I can see of the frets/fretboard profile, you may have your work cut out for you if you intend to make this useable...